Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Pj's restaurant closed?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Re: Is Pj's restaurant closed?

I always thought Campo= COUNTRY side or NOT city..
    It does NOT mean "bad neighborhood " in any sense of the word.
    but some are nicer than others ..if they are NEAR a road where tourists might travel, then usually you can see who owns a business and who is less fortunate. .
    many times you even see solid cement work, but never finished.. they ran out of money.. the homes finished, and painted in new bright colors, are probably the ones doing really well for themselves.
    here in NY NJ we would call it the SUBURBS..
    unfortunately the suburbs there, usually come without indoor plumbing, and steady electricity.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,650 Times in 2,270 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    but some are nicer than others ..if they are NEAR a road where tourists might travel, then usually you can see who owns a business and who is less fortunate. .
    many times you even see solid cement work, but never finished.. they ran out of money.. the homes finished, and painted in new bright colors, are probably the ones doing really well for themselves.
    unfortunately the suburbs there, usually come without indoor plumbing, and steady electricity.
    The vast, vast majority are not bad neighborhoods, but they are poor. I think suburbs is too nice of a comparison. Campo is straight out rural with an economy that is still mostly subsistence agricultural based. Part of the family might be traveling into the city to work/study, but I'd bet that a lot of the food in that family is coming from a family conuco or from livestock that they own.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to uncle ruckus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,575 Times in 1,140 Posts

as of 7PM sunday 10 July

PJ's CLOSED
    LaRoca...Open
    Happy Bar...Open

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to balcoach For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,382 Times in 13,907 Posts

Right you are.!

For rich folks in Santo Domingo, Punta Cana and Casa de Campo are "Campo"
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    You can take the 13 minute Gwa Gwa ride to this road outside of Caberete

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...the-Sosua-area

There are restaurants and bars here and you can get a quality haircut and shave here cheap. Its nears Omns place
    Yes, I've been down that street and it's cleaner than most Sosua streets and cheaper too to eat and get a beer. I have not gone because I don't know anyone who would want to go with me. Its all Dominican with the exception of a mission type place where locals can get schooling and some medical help cheap or free and where some westerners come to donate their vacation time to help the less fortunate... I know a number of the people that work for me live in that area and so I would just go as a general tourist...

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ohmmmm View Post
    Yes, I've been down that street and it's cleaner than most Sosua streets and cheaper too to eat and get a beer. I have not gone because I don't know anyone who would want to go with me. Its all Dominican with the exception of a mission type place where locals can get schooling and some medical help cheap or free and where some westerners come to donate their vacation time to help the less fortunate... I know a number of the people that work for me live in that area and so I would just go as a general tourist...
    Thanks to that ladrone mayor who paved the streets just prior to the election last year, whilst ignoring the main highway just past your place and the sidewalks in the town center. Did someone say 'no votes' are available there.!!!!!!

There are plenty of gringos that live the Dominican lifestyle there but there isn't really anything of interest tourist wise with the exception of the caves.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 224 Posts

many times you even see solid cement work, but never finished.. they ran out of money..
    Campo = country
    Barrio = inner city

They dont run out of money. People here pay cash. No mortages. For that reason, they take their time building a house. They will buy the property. Wait a few years, build a block house, wait a few years and finish it. In the end, they own the house and have no payments.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jcrew2020 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,382 Times in 13,907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcrew2020 View Post
    Campo = country
    Barrio = inner city

They dont run out of money. People here pay cash. No mortages. For that reason, they take their time building a house. They will buy the property. Wait a few years, build a block house, wait a few years and finish it. In the end, they own the house and have no payments.
    That method is extremely popular in Puerto Rico as well. It gives quite the feeling of accomplishment when you move into your paid for home.

It's also very common to finish one side of the house, and live in it while they finish the other half.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Campo = country
    Barrio = inner city

ok thanks for the clarification. Didnt mean to infer that the people abandoned their land and whatever structure was visibly there or was repo'd by the bank.
    But arent we both saying the same thing ? They buy the land,ok got that.
    Then they build the mortar or block house as you call it. I assume they want to live there. ? But they have to wait for more money to finish it and move it... If I see rusted Rebarb stickiing out of cement work, one would just assume it was a money issue, since obviously a lot of time has elapsed and there is no visible activity.
    or one could assume there was a discrepancy with ownership, or someone died ? Either way its a little different from what we are used to seeing, A year or 2 break is a long time . but I do admire how they do it, as they can ..
    God knows I would love to have NO mortgage..
    We Americans definitely tend to live above our means, and Its really SICK to think that what we spend(waste) on say Electric to keep our homes air conditioned just the way we like it , a Whole family in the DR could RESUME with the building of their Dream house.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,650 Times in 2,270 Posts

Campo = country
    Barrio = inner city

Many times, the construction depends on the NY family members sending the money over to continue the construction. A former coworker worked weekends bagging groceries just for tips in a supermarket in Queens. It took him about 10 years, but just on those tips he got from bagging groceries, he built the nicest house in his campo. When he moved back to enjoy his home he was elected sindico of the municipality. He told me that his neighbors said that if he was able to build that house, maybe he could do something about the unpaved roads.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to uncle ruckus For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information