Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heading Down to Sosua in January

Thanks

Heading Down to Sosua in January

I have been a long time reader of this forum and I would like to thank you all for sharing information about the DR. This will be my second trip. My first was in September 2004 for one week. It has taken me a long time to come back because of my work and getting time off from it. This time I will be able to spend two weeks. It is really difficult for me to get to the DR because I live in Reno, Nevada. Just recently, Delta has a direct flight from Reno to Atlanta, and then Atlanta to POP. This makes things much more comfortable for me. My last trip I had to go to Las Vegas/JFK/Santiago/Taxi to Sosua. That's a trek. Toughest part. Trying to sleep on the floor at JFK between flights. Nevertheless, an adventure. And a memorable one at that.

My dates are going to be January 5th thru January 20th. That seems to be enough time to get myself in trouble. I am really looking forward to my 2 weeks. I keep making X's on my calendar each day that passes. Just wanted to say hi, and thank everyone for the good information passed along here.

Had a question. I stayed at the Palace last time I was in Sosua. I understand that place wasn't a five-star hotel. I like the fact that I could cook for myself in the full kitchen there in the room. Has the Palace really gone downhill to a point where it is not habitable? Just curious.

George

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to renogeorge For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,949 Times in 4,636 Posts

Re: Heading Down to Sosua in January

there is no more palace!!! stay at the New Garden Hotel or Europa...

Have fun!!! and take full advantage of your 2 weeks in paradise...i will be there during that time...we should have a few rounds at rockys.
    Last edited by Hemp; 12-08-2006 at 04:44 PM. Reason: back to basics!

Thanks

I already have a reservation there. Are you telling me that the hotel is closed? I was quoted a helleva price for the 2 bedroom overlooking the pool. By the way, I loved your report on your last trip. I would be honored to meet up with you. Keep in touch.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,949 Times in 4,636 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
    I already have a reservation there. Are you telling me that the hotel is closed? By the way, I loved your report on your last trip. I would be honored to meet up with you. Keep in touch.

its closed!!! the palace is no more!!!

thanks for the kudos...

the day before i leave im going to start a roll call thread for guys to check in thats going to be there while im there so i know who to meet up with.

see you on the other side dude...

-Hemp

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hemp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 405 Posts

Palace is a ghost town now a days. The latest hot spot is the New Garden hotel, down the road from Rocky's. If you want a kitchen in your place, then look into an apartment .

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajax718 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

i think it was posted on another site that the palace was closed to the general public but open to select former guests...something like that

Thanks

I sent a deposit to Dominican John about a month ago for a 2 bedroom. I am not really interested in the pool and the girls being around there. I just want a sanctuary to have some peace and quiet. When I visited last time, I really had a nice time there. The kitchen is really a plus. For a back-up, I have a reservation at the Europa.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,116 Times in 566 Posts

I have a confirmed e-mail from the Garden on January 5th. No money down. In all my readings on this board the Garden seemed to be the hottest place going. I'll be looking for a fishing partner to take a charter out to catch some sailfish, tuna, etc. May have to drive south 20 or so miles to get to a good charter service that catches fish.
    Looks like about 4 -5 members that will be in Sousa already. More people will attract more chicas, more chicas makes everyone happy, everyone happy.......its all good!!!
    I'm not only counting the days I'm counting hours (672)
    TPdog

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TPdog View Post
    I have a confirmed e-mail from the Garden on January 5th. No money down. In all my readings on this board the Garden seemed to be the hottest place going. I'll be looking for a fishing partner to take a charter out to catch some sailfish, tuna, etc. May have to drive south 20 or so miles to get to a good charter service that catches fish.
    Looks like about 4 -5 members that will be in Sousa already. More people will attract more chicas, more chicas makes everyone happy, everyone happy.......its all good!!!
    I'm not only counting the days I'm counting hours (672)
    TPdog

You guys need to order family style dinners there. They were great.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

SJG

Thanks

That is the same day I come to POP. Playing poker right now. I will respond a little later.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,809 Times in 1,672 Posts

I sent a deposit to Dominican John about a month ago for a 2 bedroom. I am not really interested in the pool and the girls being around there. I just want a sanctuary to have some peace and quiet. When I visited last time, I really had a nice time there. The kitchen is really a plus. For a back-up, I have a reservation at the Europa.
    I think you will find it a shell of it's former glory days.

Wherever I May Roam

And the road becomes my bride
    I have stripped of all but pride
    So in her I do confide
    And she keeps me satisfied
    Gives me all I need

And with dust in throat I crave
    Only knowledge will I save
    To the game you stay a slave

Roamer, wanderer
    Nomad, vagabond
    Call me what you will

But I'll take my time anywhere
    Free to speak my mind anywhere
    And I'll redefine anywhere

Anywhere I may roam
    Where I lay my head is home

H.C.I.S.O.C.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phoenix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,772 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ajax718 View Post
    Palace is a ghost town now a days. The latest hot spot is the New Garden hotel, down the road from Rocky's. If you want a kitchen in your place, then look into an apartment .
    The Garden rooms all have fridges and some have stoves...
    All things considered, I'd rather be fucking.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SJG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,255 Times in 1,078 Posts

Renogeorge.... I'll see you there playboy. I'll be in BB for a day or so. Then I got a room in the Garden. Jan4-Jan11.. Hold it down for me bro until i get there... see ya there
    Last edited by kiddfrost; 12-08-2006 at 08:45 PM. Reason: miss spelling
    The "Ghost Wolf" Will be seen again

Thanks
    Thanked 22,294 Times in 3,816 Posts

Reno,

Maybe I'll bump into you. I'm in town 6 Jan - 1 feb 2007.

You may want to look at Club Residential as an alternative place to stay that has kitchens. http://www.clubresidencial.com/

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ErikS For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sorry to say, but good luck getting your deposit back. One of the other members of the site sent him a deposit to stay in July. John had to close because they leveled the shanty town across the street and all the refuges moved into the street and blocked off access to his place.

While we where down there in November, this guy still didn't have his deposit back, so he went and asked John for his money. At first John tried to BS him about was he sure he really sent a deposit and came at the right time, then he said he didn't have the $75. I still don't think the guy has his money.

There was one person staying at the Palace in November. The pool and all the jacuzzis had no water in them and chicas where not even bothering walking down the street.

At the Garden, there was times when there was no vacancy (filled with ISOC members) and you couldn't throw a peso and not hit a chica.....

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SJG For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thumbs Up Re: Heading Down to Sosua in January

he's at the new garden hotel.

search and the url will be in one of the threads

Thanks

I emailed Lorenzo about a month ago and he said that I have a reservation. His english isn't that good so I am not 100% sure about it. So I should be good? What do you guys think?

Thanks

I emailed Lorenzo about a month ago and he said that I have a reservation. His english isn't that good so I am not 100% sure about it. So I should be good? What do you guys think?
    It's good. Remind him about a week before you go. I was all nervous about that too and kept emailing him. I think he got sick of my emails...

I booked with him in July and my room was there at Thanksgiving.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SJG For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Pictures Re: Heading Down to Sosua in January

how many reservations you got?

the palace, europa and new garden...somebody's going to be pissed when you don't stay there

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I will check in with him tomorrow. This sounds like this will be a lot of fun. By the way, how big are the rooms? How's the TV? How comfortable are the beds? And is it quiet there ever? This is going to be fun!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information