Thread: Strange things a foot?

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Strange things a foot?

So one of my favorite restuarants in Boca Chica was called the Palm Bar, about 4 or 5 blocks from the strip, real good food, good service and a nice location to do some chica watching the owner was a Czechlovakian (sp?) guy, and by all accounts he was a good owner, paid the chicas working for him probably the best wages of any bar/restuarant in the area. Most of the chicas who worked for him came from the capital so he allowed them because he had a big house right behind the place to sleep in his spare rooms, and then they would go home for two or three days every two weeks or so. He had been in Boca Chica for twelve years and built up a great business, owned his house and restuarant out right etc. a true pilar of the community, and many of the ex-pats and visitors would spend time there eating and drinking.

I took a few of the Isoc family there when they visited, El Toro, Black Archer, Mr. Smooth etc. along with a Finnish friend, plus scores of others. Spent a lot of time there.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks

Re: Strange things a foot?

So anyway, about three weeks ago, a Dominican guy built a small bar right next door in what was an empty lot. Because of the Palms reputation, it continued to be packed and I never saw anyone in the new next door bar. The next things that happened were very curious to say the least.

About 11 days ago, the police came into the Palm bar, and arrested the owner Ivan, saying it was for suspicion of drugs. I know I don't know everything but I never saw any indication of any drug activity at all at the place, normally if something like that is going on there are tell tale signs. One of my friends was there at the time of the raid. She is a 45 year old woman from Norway. She says right before the cops came in a Dominican male sat down at the bar, she is also a frequent guest of the place and said she had never saw this guy, but the guy buys her a dress from a passing vendor, and tells her if the police asks her any questions just say that she doesn't know anything She was confused by this, the guy didn't know her, why was he buying her anything, and why was he giving her advice about the cops.

Anyway we all figured they would do their investigation and Ivan would be out in a few days. Didn't happen that way they kept him in jail, then after he was there for I guess it was a week, they simply deported him. I have never seen anything like it. The day he got departed that same Dominican guy appeared again at the bar, the police again showed up and simply closed down the bar. Ivan's Dominican girlfriend showed up and rated the place and took everything all the liquor, barbecue pits etc. It was incredible.

Don't know if he has any more rights to his property or not, but the guy was there for 12 yrs without any complaints or allegations against him and this all happened to him in little more than a week. Just curious if you ask me, especially with the timing of the new bar next door, sounds like a big set-up.

Thanks

I certainly don't know all the details, but it is strange and happened real fast. I can't say positively that the allegations weren't true (although as I say, I never sure any indications of anything amiss), I don't know the guy like that, although he always seemed real quiet, and I enjoyed talking to him. We have lost a real good spot, and the chicas that worked there lost a real good job. I wish him well. I will miss the place met a lot of chicas sitting at that bar he had out front, it was right on the street and a lot of the chicas in the area passed by there on their way to Duarte to do some shopping, or the beach picked up quite a few numbers sitting on one of his bar stools. Great place to do chica watching. Guess I am going to have to find a new place, as I don't always like to go down to Duarte or the beach if I want a cold one, a true shame.

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    Just curious if you ask me, especially with the timing of the new bar next door, sounds like a big set-up.

it sure does
    the dr (as well as most 3rd world countries) is not a place to be a foreign business owner
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

Yeah that's a shame. I don't think I had eaten there, but it was a cool little spot to chill, watch the chicas and I enjoyed talking to the girls that worked there.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That is suspect. I mean c'mon. I know outlandish shit happens there, but that by far has to be the most WTF story I have ever heard.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to entourage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,266 Times in 7,383 Posts

Totally fucked up! That was a nice little spot, and damn tasty food, too. I think you recommended the grilled bratwurst and it was great. And the chicas who worked there loved all the attention we gave them. When we were there, you guys were all having a good laugh at me trying to be sly (smooooooth) in getting one of the chicas numbers. I hope those girls can find another job.

What a shame.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

There are many expats here that own bars and other businesses who never have had something like this happen to them.

Where there's smoke, there's usually fire.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    There are many expats here that own bars and other businesses who never have had something like this happen to them.

Where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

That has always been one of my credos, beliefs as well, but just a lot of strange things, and how quickly things occurred, just very strange. Like I said I wasn't the guy's best friend or anything like that so certainly couldn't swear for him, but I have seen a few things in my life, and you are certainly right where there is smoke there is normally fire, but for the life of me, never saw anything suspicious about this place or that guy, I tend to notice those types of things.

But who really knows. Sometimes things that happen in other countries with the police and such, happen differently in places like the D.R. The other day, I was sitting in the park in the center of town, which is catty corner to the police station, so you tend to see a lot of the local cops just milling around, while you are in the park. A young lady comes over to sit with me, and she is giving this one cop standing a bit a way from us the stink eye, I notice and ask her why. She then proceeds to tell me how the cops in Boca tend to stop the chicas at night or during the day often and demand blowjobs and other sex acts, with the threat of locking them up, as ladronas. She said it was a common practice here (standard operating procedure), and the guy she was looking hard at, generally was one of them that would often do that to her, she wasn't happy about it, but there was nothing she could do about it.

So althouh generally speaking I agree with the theory of where there is smoke there is fire, credo, not always in places like the D.R., just my observations.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

I bet the rumor mill in BC has a few stories about this and that is about as accurate a story as anyone can get. Planting drugs and deporting people does happen. All it takes is to piss the wrong people off who have connections and money.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 251 Posts

Is this story related to what you were talking about Yayow??? I noticed there's a guy there named Ivan Zanze. They also talk about them being arrested in Boca Chica.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/loc...rn-Europe-bust

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crytonb99 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,650 Times in 2,270 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crytonb99 View Post
    Is this story related to what you were talking about Yayow??? I noticed there's a guy there named Ivan Zanze. They also talk about them being arrested in Boca Chica.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/loc...rn-Europe-bust
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there aren't 2 Eastern-Europeans named Ivan living in Boca Chica that were arrested within the last week. Also, DR police and military are in fact notoriously corrupt in all aspects. HOWEVER, there is one big exception, when international law enforcement is involved, the DR Policia Nacional turn into altar boys. If this was an INTERPOL case as indicated by the DT article, then I'd bet that things were done by the book in this case.

23. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to uncle ruckus For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yeah that's him, and I did a little checking on my own, and my faith in Ivan I now know was misplaced, I am sorry to say. My sources have revealed that it does seem he was involved in drugs, they found 2 kilos in his residence. A total shame, but if he was doing wrong he is fortunate that they let him out of the country, instead of keeping him in jail.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

As Mr. Happy said often times where there is smoke there is fire, my apologies to the Dominican Police Dept. a job well done.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yep. Good job DNP.
    I'm sure they are not off the hook. Maybe in the DR, but if they were handed over to INTERPOL their journey has most likely just begun.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to entourage For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by entourage View Post
    Yep. Good job DNP.
    I'm sure they are not off the hook. Maybe in the DR, but if they were handed over to INTERPOL their journey has most likely just begun.
    True that they got a lot more to deal with no doubt, but being a foreigner in a Dominican Prison is not a good thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 51,266 Times in 7,383 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    As Mr. Happy said often times where there is smoke there is fire, my apologies to the Dominican Police Dept. a job well done.
    Well..... look at the bright side. You now have a brand new bar nextdoor to check out! Stop by sometime and let us know whats up. Drink prices, chicas, food. All the usual bs. Maybe those chicas who lost their jobs can get hired at the new place.

Alls well that ends well I say.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thread Information