Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 08/2012 - Rumba "self -tipping" waiter alert.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Re: Rumba "self -tipping" waiter alert.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    They love that attitude....they count on it. In areas like Sosua they are counting on the tourist not giving a shit about 100 pesos on the bill or 50 more pesos for the moto or 500 more pesos when the chica asks for it. Your attitude just feeds into the "entitlement" they feel to rip off the stupid gringo who, in their minds, has more money than sense.
    If I highlighed what part of this statement I agreed with I would have to highlight every single word..
    You certainly have learned a LOT since you now live there. U 100% right, This is exactly what they count on, and now feel "entitleed to" (thats a very powerful motivation most people dont even understand)..
    they COUNT on making that extra money from the stupid gringos, who dont even count their change, dont even look at the bill to see if its padded , and sometimes even say out loud "oh thats nothing" , Overtips....
    And the results... well thats what this thread is all about...And I also believe what happend with that situation with Rich... They figured he would just pay it.. after all its only $13, that "NOTHING" , I hear that a lot from Dominicans now that its "nothing" . Oh Really ? How Long would it take your Uneducated Dominican Ass to Earn that money, if you didnt steal it ?

Its Funny , people made fun of those of us who DONT tip excessively a little while back, if some of you recall ... and we were accused of being "cheap",,, and lectured on how these wait people make so little money, etc etc..
    No, its not about being cheap, its about not letting them think we are complete effing fools...
    One of my first lessons in Santo Domingo on this kind of thing,, a Guy we were tipping well at Lapsus ( $5 bills from each of us) and he would Still STEAL 100 pesos from us, by not bringing back the correct change.. he would crumple it up in his hands.. I literally caught him, told him to open his hand exposing the crumpled up bill , and then I told him. YOU keep it but I guess you know you fucked up..

but you said it much nicer Robert..

oh, and if there was a point to my post, its that WE have brought this on ourselves.. The dominicans are not like this with each other, which Mr Happy explained much more eloquently.. they are only like this with US... cause we let them...

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,366 Times in 408 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    If I highlighed what part of this statement I agreed with I would have to highlight every single word..
    You certainly have learned a LOT since you now live there. U 100% right, This is exactly what they count on, and now feel "entitleed to" (thats a very powerful motivation most people dont even understand)..
    they COUNT on making that extra money from the stupid gringos, who dont even count their change, dont even look at the bill to see if its padded , and sometimes even say out loud "oh thats nothing" , Overtips....
    And the results... well thats what this thread is all about...And I also believe what happend with that situation with Rich... They figured he would just pay it.. after all its only $13, that "NOTHING" , I hear that a lot from Dominicans now that its "nothing" . Oh Really ? How Long would it take your Uneducated Dominican Ass to Earn that money, if you didnt steal it ?

Its Funny , people made fun of those of us who DONT tip excessively a little while back, if some of you recall ... and we were accused of being "cheap",,, and lectured on how these wait people make so little money, etc etc..
    No, its not about being cheap, its about not letting them think we are complete effing fools...
    One of my first lessons in Santo Domingo on this kind of thing,, a Guy we were tipping well at Lapsus ( $5 bills from each of us) and he would Still STEAL 100 pesos from us, by not bringing back the correct change.. he would crumple it up in his hands.. I literally caught him, told him to open his hand exposing the crumpled up bill , and then I told him. YOU keep it but I guess you know you fucked up..

oh, and if there was a point to my post, its that WE have brought this on ourselves.. The dominicans are not like this with each other, which Mr Happy explained much more eloquently.. they are only like this with US... cause we let them...

well said judge i always enjoy your posts. you my friend are a man after my own heart.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dmoney For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,561 Times in 1,572 Posts

I agree. This is why the chicas say one price then say another price later.
    Alot of guys say a extra 500 pesos is nothing, but it adds up and can be a nuisance.
    I like knowing what the price of something is before hand. From food to pussy. I like knowing.

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rahsta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,035 Times in 2,159 Posts

There is a big difference between tipping what you feel is appropriate and letting a dominican rip you off......... but that is another disagrement between me and the judge for another thread......

On Wednesday I went into BanReservas to buy a CD. This is MY bank, and I have over 500,000 pesos invested there. After I purchased my CD, I told the banker I needed to change $400 US into pesos. She of course says no problem, and tells me the rate is 37.3. The current rate was 39ish!!!!! I reminded her that I have over 500,000 pesos in this bank and told her I can get 38.5 from a tigre on the street. She looked at me funny and said on moment. Came back 5 min later and said ok - 38.9.

Even your own bank tries to rip you off in the DR!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nakom View Post
    There is a big difference between tipping what you feel is appropriate and letting a dominican rip you off......... but that is another disagrement between me and the judge for another thread......

On Wednesday I went into BanReservas to buy a CD. This is MY bank, and I have over 500,000 pesos invested there. After I purchased my CD, I told the banker I needed to change $400 US into pesos. She of course says no problem, and tells me the rate is 37.3. The current rate was 39ish!!!!! I reminded her that I have over 500,000 pesos in this bank and told her I can get 38.5 from a tigre on the street. She looked at me funny and said on moment. Came back 5 min later and said ok - 38.9.

Even your own bank tries to rip you off in the DR!!!!!!!
    Ummm... I exchanged some money on Thursday and got 39.07.

The Banco Central rate for that day was 39.1333, if my memory serves me correctly.

Not really fair to compare, however. I run my company account through them, and usually change 10K or so at a time.

It wasn't always that way. She was changing at a lower rate until I checked another local bank, and found they were paying more than she was. I acted like I was really hurt that she wouldn't give me the best rate, and from then on, it's been changed at the correct rate. ( I also keep my eye on the official rate now)

I'm sure banks are the same way everywhere. You really have to be on your toes with what they have to offer. Managers have a lot of leeway to negotiate.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

And I think thats what this thread was about, not letting Dominicans rip us off, or "assume" they can " tip themselves "..
    But make no mistake, if even a chica, who had 3 kids, assumes she can keep the change lets say on 890 pesos tab, cuz I didnt have exact change and pay with a 1 Mil Note
    .. I'm gonna take it all back.. and tip nothing.. out of principle..
    In this scenario the OP was talking about a MALE Dominican however.. which it applies to even moreso.

I think your bank example just proves even further that they really DONT respect Gringos, not even if have 500 K in the bank with them.
    Its all about the HUSTLE and seperating us from our money, in any way they can..
    And if you want to TIP generously,, hey thats fine.. But the Waiter dont get to decide that.. does he ?

U may want to read the whole thread, before assuming I was throwing stones.. I assure you, I was NOT....

11. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,266 Times in 7,383 Posts

In my own case, the only problem I have had with getting my change at Rumba was the wait. Sometimes over 5 minutes. But it was usually very busy, both sidewalk tables and inside tables. But as far as the waiter deciding on his own to keep my change? Never has happened. I have waved him off before as he approached with my change to let him know that was his tip.

When I go to one of the quieter bars away from the strip, I have NEVER had a problem. The bartender, if she hasn't got the proper change, has even given the chica who was sitting (working) there my money and told her to get change at the colmado across the street. A minute or two later, the chica comes back and gives it to the bartender who then gives me back the proper amount of change.

I make sure to leave a nice tip!

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,920 Times in 2,853 Posts

I was having breakfast at NG about a week ago, pulled my cash out, counting below the table so as not to flash it around and I unknowningly gave the waitress 2 - 100's and a 1,000 peso note. I wasn't paying attention and thought I was handing her 300 pesos. She took my cash and walked away.

And guess what, she caught my mistake, turned right around and brought me back my 1,000 peso note.
    Had she not done that, I would have never caught it.

I gave her a nice tip too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,983 Times in 412 Posts

if I were him, and I was born there, and I worked at Rumba and I had three kids like he does - I would do the same thing.

A dollar fifty means more to him than it does to you (i think)....

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sosuaman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,762 Times in 1,628 Posts

They love that attitude....they count on it. In areas like Sosua they are counting on the tourist not giving a shit about 100 pesos on the bill or 50 more pesos for the moto or 500 more pesos when the chica asks for it. Your attitude just feeds into the "entitlement" they feel to rip off the stupid gringo who, in their minds, has more money than sense.
    Exactamente! It is not just the waiters pulling this stunt.

I stayed at Trade Winds condos for three nights on this trip. The motoconchos all charged me 50 pesos to go to El Batey (or back to the condo).

One night I had pizza with a Dominican friend and his 4 daughters in El Batey. Afterwards, I got onto a moto at la Bomba and told the driver I wanted to go to Trade Winds (english pronunciation). The driver and I agreed on 50 pesos before I got on the moto. I guess he didn't understand where I wanted to go as he did a u-turn and started to head back to El Batey. My Dominican friend saw this and yelled at the driver "He wants to go to TRRADE WEENDS (spanish pronunciation). The driver turned back onto the highway and said to me "Trrade Weends is far, I want 100 pesos". I wasn't gonna argue with a motoconcho going 30 miles an hour on the highway so I paid him the 100 when we got there.

In March, a Dominicana amiga and I got into a publico at Sosua to go to La Sirena in POP. The driver was charging the other Dominicans in the taxi 50 pesos each, but he charged me and my amiga 100 pesos each......... . So I whispered to my amiga "Why is he charging us double the fare?" and she says "Because we are going farther then where the other passengers are getting dropped off". I think to myself "that is ". I knew La Sirena was only a few minutes away from the main drop-off point, but I wasn't going to argue with the driver over the fare with about 6 other Dominicans all squashed into the car .

And to make matters worse, we got into the same publico to get back to Sosua...............and he charged us 200 pesos again .

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DASBOOTY For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,285 Times in 14,580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eldorob View Post
    I was having breakfast at NG about a week ago, pulled my cash out, counting below the table so as not to flash it around and I unknowningly gave the waitress 2 - 100's and a 1,000 peso note. I wasn't paying attention and thought I was handing her 300 pesos. She took my cash and walked away.

And guess what, she caught my mistake, turned right around and brought me back my 1,000 peso note.
    Had she not done that, I would have never caught it.

I gave her a nice tip too.
    I have noticed how hard that waitress works at NG. Often she works the entire breakfast crowd there by herself and does it with a smile and because breakfast for guests are free I am sure she doesn't get the tips she deserves. It does not surprise me that she brought that 1,000 rd note back. Even though there are alot of hustlers in the DR there are also alot of real quality individuals who do work hard just trying to get by. We need to remember the ones that make are trip to Sosua pleasurable and not just the chicas that get us off.
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DASBOOTY View Post
    Exactamente! It is not just the waiters pulling this stunt.

I stayed at Trade Winds condos for three nights on this trip. The motoconchos all charged me 50 pesos to go to El Batey (or back to the condo).

Other than an issue with one moto guy really late at night, the rates I paid in July were 30 pp during the day and 50 pp at night from the strip to Trade Winds.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,266 Times in 7,383 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post
    Other than an issue with one moto guy really late at night, the rates I paid in July were 30 pp during the day and 50 pp at night from the strip to Trade Winds.
    I paid the same moto rates for a ride up to the Palms, about 75 yards further up the road. At night with a chica, I paid 100 pesos to the moto and had no issues with him wanting more.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,762 Times in 1,628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post
    30 pesos is a great rate. But my question is - how does one get 30 pesos in Sosua?

I rarely carry less than a 50 peso note on me. In the DR (like in Mexico) it can be hard to get small change. In my 2 weeks in Sosua I only got a 20 peso bill two times and a 25 peso coin maybe three or four times.

Smaller change I dispense of quickly. 5 and 10 peso coins I like to use in the small Playero market. I know the cashier in there can get frustrated when she has to dig out change to give to gringos who pay for something that cost 103 pesos with a 500 peso note.

One peso coins are reserved for the guy in the wheelchair with the tin can................depending on his location: in front of the Banco Popular in the morning and in front of the Jewish Museum (by the Casa Marina) in the afternoon .

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DASBOOTY For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

30 pesos is a great rate. But my question is - how does one get 30 pesos in Sosua?

I rarely carry less than a 50 peso note on me. In the DR (like in Mexico) it can be hard to get small change. In my 2 weeks in Sosua I only got a 20 peso bill two times and a 25 peso coin maybe three or four times.

Smaller change I dispense of quickly. 5 and 10 peso coins I like to use in the small Playero market. I know the cashier in there can get frustrated when she has to dig out change to give to gringos who pay for something that cost 103 pesos with a 500 peso note.

One peso coins are reserved for the guy in the wheelchair with the tin can................depending on his location: in front of the Banco Popular in the morning and in front of the Jewish Museum (by the Casa Marina) in the afternoon .
    You do that precisely so you can get change. I never use less that a 1000 peso note in the Playero regardless of what I am buying. It becomes second nature to constantly break down bigger bills for smaller bills and coins.
    Enjoy it while you can.

28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Seville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

You do that precisely so you can get change. I never use less that a 1000 peso note in the Playero regardless of what I am buying. It becomes second nature to constantly break down bigger bills for smaller bills and coins.
    Exactly! It only took me one trip to figure that one out. I never get 2000 notes when changing and I almost always pull out a 1000 or 500 when paying a bill. When they tell you they don't have change, tell them you don't either. They'll almost always find.

You'll have a mountain of small bills/ coins in no time.

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I do it, but the smaller places always make me feel guilty about it, so then i started just doing it in Super PLayero, where I dont feel guilty at all and cause they have tons of change. Heck , I enjoy paying for a 20 peso bottle of water with $400 USD. ." make change for that , and make it snappy, and dont be trying to give me any of those blue bills either" . LOL...

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

I do it, but the smaller places always make me feel guilty about it, so then i started just doing it in Super PLayero, where I dont feel guilty at all and cause they have tons of change. Heck , I enjoy paying for a 20 peso bottle of water with $400 USD. ." make change for that , and make it snappy, and dont be trying to give me any of those blue bills either" . LOL...
    Businesses that don't have petty cash to start their day irritate me to no end. If they're that stupid when it comes to running a business, I have no problem at all waiting for them while they run around and find change for my big bill.

I usually always have a 1000 peso bill in my shirt pocket, so they don't see my money clip and money when I go to pay.

I hand them that, and say, "sorry, no tengo mas"

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

U know You right Mr Happy, and there is always a KID in the store doing nothing anyway, so let HIM run out and get the darn change, why should my lazy gringo Blanco Ass have to go run all around town for it .. I'll just Peruse the Drink isle of the store til he gets back, I dont have a problem with that. Heck ill gladly even give him a 25+ peso Tip.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

In March, a Dominicana amiga and I got into a publico at Sosua to go to La Sirena in POP. The driver was charging the other Dominicans in the taxi 50 pesos each, but he charged me and my amiga 100 pesos each......... . So I whispered to my amiga "Why is he charging us double the fare?" and she says "Because we are going farther then where the other passengers are getting dropped off". I think to myself "that is ". I knew La Sirena was only a few minutes away from the main drop-off point.
    The right price in daytime is 45 pesos to La Javilla which is the furthest point from Sosua but not regarded as a "terminal". If you stay with the cab to the nearest point to La Sirena they would be entitled to charge you a bit more, say 15 to 25 each

And to make matters worse, we got into the same publico to get back to Sosua ... and he charged us 200 pesos again
    From near La Sirena to Sosua should be 45 pesos, unless the taxi stops at the hospital and you have to change. This rarely happens but if it happens they might charge you 25 for the first leg or they might give you a free ride to the hospital. Depends if they like your face. From the hospital to Sosua it is 45 pesos.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information