Thread: Adventures with a First Timer: Reflections on a recent trip with an old friend

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Thumbs Up Adventures with a First Timer: Reflections on a recent trip with an old friend

A little taste for those without Paid Picture and Trip Report Access (which you should get, it's well worth it!) based on this trip: http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...nking-plans!-)

What we liked:

Pretty much everything we did, accomplished or experienced.

We ate like Kings, drank what and when we wanted to, skimped on nothing, made new friends and spent as much time with friends as possible, hit the pool or beach everyday since the weather was so perfect, went out at night but not every or even most nights, but when we wanted and also enjoyed some serious down time hanging at Rocky's or our rooms, with or without chicas.

We slept in. We napped. We relaxed, got massages at Kika's and had a great time!

We also returned under budget, which is an amazing accomplishment in itself!

Highlights of the trip:

Big birthday party on the beach with 5 piece band playing bachata all afternoon!

Many great meals at some fine local restaurants; we were all about food this trip!

Perfect weather.

Meeting and hanging with many friends, old and new.

Watching my buddy's face as we experience his first trip to the DR, together. He was blown away!

What we disliked:

Nothing. Not a damn thing. You'd have been hard pressed to create a better experience for my buddy the first timer. Even Mother Nature cooperated, fully, jejeje

What we wanted to do but didn't:

We'd intended to do a little local travelling and experience a publico or guagua but instead we stayed in Sosua and didn't venture past "the strip" except to go to the beach. We never went further "east" than Kika's massage.

We intended to go to Cabarete and pester Ohmmmm, eat at Papi's, get some bargain souvenirs at the wholesale place across from Jose O'Shays but never managed

I wanted to show my friend a tipico, perhaps also Rio Verde. Eat at the fish restaurant across from there or at Robert's favorite place in La Union after visiting the Haitian school. Regretfully we did not get there or to see Weyland...

EAT AT MORE RESTAURANTS! I'd intended to eat at Maura Mai, Britannia, Gaudi, Italian Restaurant (features Pizza), Oh La Vache, News Cafe, La Costera, just to name a few but with the heat, eating on the beach, early closing hours and days off we missed out. Next time!

Things like that.

Of course all of these are on the list for future trips. There's only so much you can do on a one week, first trip.

We managed to have an incredible time and create another guy who now "get's it" and wants to continue to travel and "do what we do". That's enough for one trip!

In short: We did what we wanted everyday, with no set plans, skipped many things we had intended saving them for the future. You've GOT to leave things for the next adventure. This was a test for ourselves and we passed. Got "A's"
    My good friend of many years will be returning or adventuring in other locals and that was what this trip was about.

Many guys from here contributed to our good time and have our thanks and my gratitude. We hope to see you all again, soon. Apologies to the many we did not connect with. Again, hope to see you soon....as well as many who could not be here this time. We'll have to plan better for next time. Muchas gracias!

The End
    Last edited by Apos; 10-04-2012 at 08:58 PM.
    When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Adventures with a First Timer: Reflections on a recent trip with an old friend

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Adventures with a First Timer: Reflections on a recent trip with an old friend

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thread Information