Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Police Shaking Down Tourists

Thanks
    Thanked 1,816 Times in 253 Posts

Police Shaking Down Tourists

We all know that the D.R. authorities are corrupt. Last night I got a subtle reminder. Was walking back to Rocky's from Plan B bar to catch the 8pm shuttle to Mary Rose. I was just about to Lou's Shark Bar on Clisante when two guys in the camouflage uniforms (police or military?) pulled up next to me on a motorcycle and asked me to step over to them. I spoke to them in Spanish which might have been my mistake.

They asked just a couple questions;
    Do you live here? I replied, "no I am just visiting."
    Where do you live? I replied, "at Rocky's Condos." and gestured around the corner.
    They then told me to be careful on the streets at night. I thanked them and started to say 'adios" but then they asked if I could give them a "small gift". I replied I had been at the beach all day, have no money and was on my way home for the evening. Then I just turned and walked away. They turned their motorcycle around and started back down Clisante.

Not sure to what level these guys will try to shake down a tourist but just a heads up to everyone out there. Had I been drunk they may have been more aggressive. Not sure but wanted to pass on the info.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 89,168 Times in 10,927 Posts

Re: Police Shaking Down Tourists

Festy, while the info is appreciated, I wouldn't really call that a shakedown. That happens every day in the DR. AMET stopping motorist on the highway, during the Christmas season, so they can get some pesos for regalos for their family.

If they were really shaking you down, you wouldn't have walked away without coughing up something.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,445 Times in 148 Posts

Hi Festy, I made a copy of your post and tranlated it in spanish. "El Major" from Politur is still staying at Casa Cayena. I gave him the copy and ask him for a statement. When i get it, will post it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,356 Times in 117 Posts

If that's a shake down, I guess I get shook down by every Chica I talk to down there because that's the same lines they use, lol. J/K.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TNT72 View Post
    Festy, while the info is appreciated, I wouldn't really call that a shakedown. That happens every day in the DR. AMET stopping motorist on the highway, during the Christmas season, so they can get some pesos for regalos for their family.

If they were really shaking you down, you wouldn't have walked away without coughing up something.
    I have to agree. This is nothing new. It's happened to me many times in Sosua. And I have not been there in over 3 years. I always say no, and move on. It's business as usual.

Hopefully, you'll never be in a position where you have no other choice but to pay, i.e. an actual arrest for fraudulent reasons. That is a shakedown. And it has happened to more than a few.

Thanks
    Thanked 45,724 Times in 5,924 Posts

Happens all the time if you say no or I gave all my pesos to a chica with a grande culo they ride off. A shakedown happens when they insist on pesos, but that has never happened to me.
    "Panties are not the best thing in the world, but they are next to it"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

I alwasys though A shakedown is a Roadblock, when even after all your documents and papers are in order, they still ask or insist for a CASH gift, cause a Holiday is coming up, or its someones birthday or they are hungry.
    A legit roadblock, like around the HOLIDAY weekends, will let you drive off as soon as they see the rental agreement and Car paperwork. whould take all of about 3-5 minutes.. much less than a stop in the USA. if it goes longer, they are trying some shit, so be on your game. ( this is just my .02 from my limited experience, im sure expats know a lot more)
    I got stopped once and they asked if I have any GUNS ( plural) in my car ( in english too) ... LOL
    Oh yeagh, sure.... that must be it... im packing Condoms and Guns...that me.
    I told him the Gun was in my pants and grabbled my cock.. ( ok I didnt really do that). to tell the truth, that one did scare me, if they tried to "plant" a gun, i would have missed my plane at least or much worse. Made the mistake of telling them I was flying out that night . thats the closest I ever came.

Dont give them money either, they only expect money from Suckers, who they might shake down even MORE if you pull out a wad of money.
    Its not a Crime to drive or walk around with NO money in your pocket.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 893 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Festy View Post
    We all know that the D.R. authorities are corrupt. Last night I got a subtle reminder. Was walking back to Rocky's from Plan B bar to catch the 8pm shuttle to Mary Rose. I was just about to Lou's Shark Bar on Clisante when two guys in the camouflage uniforms (police or military?) pulled up next to me on a motorcycle and asked me to step over to them. I spoke to them in Spanish which might have been my mistake. They asked just a couple questions; Do you live here? I replied, "no I am just visiting." Where do you live? I replied, "at Rocky's Condos." and gestured around the corner. They then told me to be careful on the streets at night. I thanked them and started to say 'adios" but then they asked if I could give them a "small gift". I replied I had been at the beach all day, have no money and was on my way home for the evening. Then I just turned and walked away. They turned their motorcycle around and started back down Clisante. Not sure to what level these guys will try to shake down a tourist but just a heads up to everyone out there. Had I been drunk they may have been more aggressive. Not sure but wanted to pass on the info.
    You did the right thing by not giving them any money. This is pretty common and for the most part an accepted part uniformed service there. In the future you might not want to tell them exactly where you are staying, and probably best not to confirm that you don't live there. Guys in camo could be just about anybody except POLITUR. PN SWAT, DNCD tactical, CESFRONT, Ejercicito Nacional, and all Fuerza Armada wear cami jamis of some type. You just have to look at the vehicles or patches to see who is who.
    Lecciones de la vida:

Si le das la mano te cojen el brazo entero
    Mas jala tiene un pelo de toto, que una junta de bueyes
    El día que la mierda tenga algún valor, los pobres nacerán sin culo
    Si la vida te da la espalda... Tócale el culo
    Amore de lejos, amor de pendejos

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Corrado For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Plaso View Post
    Hi Festy, I made a copy of your post and tranlated it in spanish. "El Major" from Politur is still staying at Casa Cayena. I gave him the copy and ask him for a statement. When i get it, will post it.
    That's not the Politur. That's the National Police and they do it all the time. Hardly what I would consider a shakedown. It has happened to me on numerous occasions and I just politely tell them I have no money for them and they go on their way. The same thing with the roadblocks. Most times they don't even bother to ask for my papers. Just ask if I have any drugs or weapons at which point I tell them no but they are welcome to seach my car if they want to. They don't want to search my car because it would require too much time and effort which would be better spent trying to get money from the next car in line. You can also look at them blankly and say; "No speak Spanish". Again they will not want to waste their time on you.

I was stopped once by two PN on a moto when I was in my car. They were telling me how they are the police and they protect me blah, blah, blah. I just kept saying "No comprendo" over and over. The guy driving the moto was doing all the talking. Finally the guy said to me that they really needed gasoline for their moto. At that point, after pretending I didn't speak any Spanish the whole time, I replied; "Yo tambien". The PN on the back of the moto busted out laughing and they just waved me on my way.

I have never given them money in those situations.
    Enjoy it while you can.

The South Shall Rise Again!!! when the Hispanics revolt :)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,127 Times in 257 Posts

Just a couple of guys looking for beer money...

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PerroDePassions For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,401 Times in 78,292 Posts

If you want to join, send me an e mail at

jdrent97@gmail.com

or

Moneybookers

https://www.moneybookers.com/app/?rid=40398168

You guys can set up a free account here. It doesn't work for US based members

Attach a checking account if you want or a credit card

Once you set this up, you will be able to subscribe

thanks

One year is $60

Two years is $90

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert13212 View Post
    That's not the Politur. That's the National Police and they do it all the time. Hardly what I would consider a shakedown. It has happened to me on numerous occasions and I just politely tell them I have no money for them and they go on their way. The same thing with the roadblocks. Most times they don't even bother to ask for my papers. Just ask if I have any drugs or weapons at which point I tell them no but they are welcome to seach my car if they want to. They don't want to search my car because it would require too much time and effort which would be better spent trying to get money from the next car in line. You can also look at them blankly and say; "No speak Spanish". Again they will not want to waste their time on you.

I was stopped once by two PN on a moto when I was in my car. They were telling me how they are the police and they protect me blah, blah, blah. I just kept saying "No comprendo" over and over. The guy driving the moto was doing all the talking. Finally the guy said to me that they really needed gasoline for their moto. At that point, after pretending I didn't speak any Spanish the whole time, I replied; "Yo tambien". The PN on the back of the moto busted out laughing and they just waved me on my way.

I have never given them money in those situations.
    This right here, (aside from being funny) just proves how full of shit they really are, and only suckers will give in and give them money.. Its all an act, of course they would take like 100 or 200 pesos,but why give them an opening.

I would hate to think what would happen to someone who takes out like a BLUE 2 mil peso bill, with like a big smile on his face, like hes a bigshot helping them out, or trying to buy his way out of something he KNOWS he is hiding in his car.. They would smell that shit out so fast and turn his car and his ass upside down for sure. thats just a guess on my part, but IMO the last thing you wanna do.

17. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 893 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    I would hate to think what would happen to someone who takes out like a BLUE 2 mil peso bill, with like a big smile on his face, like hes a bigshot helping them out, .
    I never help them but I have known quite a few that help them out to varying degrees, some come out good, but most come out bad. Most of the time they recognize it as a cash cow and beg every time they see you, in addition they tell their coworkers who start to beg. The few times I have seen it work out were times that no money actually changed hands (and no requests being made), like sandwiches or Gatorade for officers working in the sun with no break.

19. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Corrado For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

guess mi don't get out much as mi have never had shake down in the DR.....or anywhere for that matter.......

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

The South Shall Rise Again!!! when the Hispanics revolt :)
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,127 Times in 257 Posts

LOL, the my last trip to the DR. One of the local policia had his hand out for me and I was chewing gum. So I took out a piece and gave him one. Then he was like "No, mas regala para mi" I replied "Ahhh, Ok 2 Chiclet para ti" He look frustrated but took it anyways , Funny thing is every time I saw him after that I would approach him with a cigarette or a piece of gum, and me and him still talk on FB occasionally, when you go there try and be a friendly local not a uptight deer in the headlights tourist. I might new at mongering but not a stranger to 3rd world customs.

23. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to PerroDePassions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,418 Times in 1,349 Posts

Well, we had two run ins in two days.

First - MY FAULT - No seatbelt driving past Lous Shark Bar.
    The wife had to get a bike back to the hotel to get passports to prove we were tourists.
    This all took time and a fine was to be paid.
    On the way back from the hotel she picked up a guy from our rental place. He came and "negotiated" with the AMET officer.
    Cost me $50 and about 40 mins of my time.
    Pretty pissed off after - but at the time i admit - I was concerned about being taken to the station.
    $50 right or wrong - I paid and im pretty sure it went to his "party fund".

Second time we got stopped by the right hand turning up by High Caribe onto the Sosua Car Wash road.
    This time it was the guys in black uniform - ive since been told that they were looking for drugs / guns.
    We were on the way to the air port to pick up a friend, and I was concerned about the delay.
    It was his first time in country and wouldnt have a clue what to do at the airport without us picking him up.

Tried the "no speakie the spanish" and the reply was - "thats fine - I speak perfect english" - oh shit........
    2nd time being stopped in two days.
    As luck would have it - the same guy who had "helped" just 24 hours earlier from our car rental drove past, saw us, pulled up the road and came to our aid.
    After about 2 mins more they decided we were tourists - didnt have guns or drugs on us and let us on our way.

IVE always worn my seatbelt since - and if we make it back there again in September will always wear my seat belt going forward.

After all our trips - all our driving around and we have been all over the north and central DR, our only 2 issues with the police.

I hope it stays that way!

25. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to thunderstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

I was stopped once on the mountain roads driving from Santiago to Sosua... They stepped in front of the car and put their hand up to stop... I was with my friend and we were both drinking some ice cold Presidentes that we grabbed from a colmado from the side of the road... They first said, in spanish, where are your papers... My reply, I dont understand spanish (I did of course but knew better)... Then they said, your lights are not on (it was daytime and that is true my lights are off), my reply, I really dont understand spanish... Their third statement, You have to put your beer in a glass, not in a bottle... (HUH? What the fuck kinda rule is that?!?!) My reply once again... I dont understand spanish... But passed the bottle of beer to my friend next to me... They get a really frustrated look and they are pissed of course.. then I get waved on and they say go! My reply... Adios amigos...

I aint gonna lie, I was a little worried but I didn't show it, and luckily I was a member of this site for a while and knew that my best bet was to pretend I didn't know a lick of Spanish... That's your best bet all of the time... And dont forget guys, the beer must be in a glass while driving...
    Brooklyn Beas - Mi Tesoro Medellin Part 5 - Green Section with uncensored Videos and Pictures
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429038-04-14-(4-18-5-5)-Mi-Tesoro-Beas-in-Meddy-Part5

Beas in Meddy, just a daily progress report
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?428980-04-2014-Beas-in-Meddy-just-a-daily-progress-report

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

My best one is when I got stopped at a roadblock by PN.

I had a brown paper bag on the passenger seat containing cheese. (Queso)

The cop asked me what was is that (Que es eso?) but pronounced it “Queso”

So I said “si, queso”

He asked again and I replied the same.

This went on, back and forth, 5 or 6 times while he got more pissed off with me.

I then called over the boss man, told him what I was being asked and that I was answering the question correctly and asked him what part of the word “queso” his trooper didn’t understand.

He then asked me to show him the brown bag contents, so I did and said “te dije queso”

He and I burst out laughing and he then gave his trooper a bollocking for being dumb.

I’m sure I saw the trooper mouthing “maldito gringo, mamaguevo” as I drove off.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,369 Times in 13,904 Posts

I hardly ever get stopped, but the few times I have been, the first words our of my mouth are "no tengo cualto" (I don't have any money)

Seeing that coming from a gringo always gets them laughing.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

29. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,285 Times in 14,580 Posts

I can't wait for the day when those "family tourists" and those from the cruise ship get stopped and hit up for a payment from the policia for nothing.

They won't be able to get back on the ship or plane fast enough.

Long live monger town. ie Sosua

Those that exist to protect and serve are one of the biggest problems in this country. If they were there to truly protect and serve instead of seeing how much than can help themselves, there would be far less problem chicas imho.
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

31. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information