Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Police Shaking Down Tourists

Winter: Sosua * Summer: Sometimes North, Sometime South
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,829 Times in 2,435 Posts

Re: Police Shaking Down Tourists

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWeed View Post
    guess mi don't get out much as mi have never had shake down in the DR.....or anywhere for that matter.......
    I had a drunk cop looking for beer one night outside of Profeta (colmado) in Sosua. I told him I had no money left, it was my last beer and he went stumbling of into the night, gun still in holster.

I had a cop ask for money in Negril one night back in about '92....I am not sure of the year but it was just before the time when the put a guy from the army with each police officer because of corruption. Same thing, asked for money, I said no....they moved on.

Had cops ask me for money a few times in Trinidad back in the 80's.

It's very simple and it happens all over the Caribbean.
    Give me a chair on a beach....hand me a beer....have some chicas hanging around....oh happy days!!

C.I.S.O.C.

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Plaso View Post
    Hi Festy, I made a copy of your post and tranlated it in spanish. "El Major" from Politur is still staying at Casa Cayena. I gave him the copy and ask him for a statement. When i get it, will post it.
    Yeah, those Faggots on the moto are always begging me for "GAS MONEY". Translate that!!!

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

It seems what they are shaking down from the tourist is nothing compared to the gringos that live in the DR

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/loc...on-German-cult
    “I don’t know the question, but sex is definitely the answer.”

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 893 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder View Post
    It seems what they are shaking down from the tourist is nothing compared to the gringos that live in the DR http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/loc...on-German-cult
    This right here........ "Acosta says he then met with Castillo in Puerto Plata and began to talk about the case. “He then told me he was angry because he "had been given just 20,000 pesos, and that all the others divvied up enough money to buy SUVs.” And this........"In their statements, the officer said Toribio swiped an I-Pad and other items from the house of the Germans and that the officer told one of his colleagues who took part in the raid to "learn to steal like him." I laughed until I cried.
    Lecciones de la vida:

Si le das la mano te cojen el brazo entero
    Mas jala tiene un pelo de toto, que una junta de bueyes
    El día que la mierda tenga algún valor, los pobres nacerán sin culo
    Si la vida te da la espalda... Tócale el culo
    Amore de lejos, amor de pendejos

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Corrado For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    I hardly ever get stopped, but the few times I have been, the first words our of my mouth are "no tengo cualto" (I don't have any money)

Seeing that coming from a gringo always gets them laughing.
    I'm probably wrong on this guess, but is this the equivalent of saying " I dont even have a QUARTER PESO" ( or a fourth of a PESO) which was once a REAL coin.

and also with the correct L instead of the R, as an Old Timer from Santo Domingo would probably say it ???

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
    I'm probably wrong on this guess, but is this the equivalent of saying " I dont even have a QUARTER PESO" ( or a fourth of a PESO) which was once a REAL coin. and also with the correct L instead of the R, as an Old Timer from Santo Domingo would probably say it ???
    Cuarto or Cualto if you want to pronounce it properly today just means money without any denomination affixed it could be 1 peso or 1 million. But you are right the name does (originally) refer to an extinct denomination of coin.

11. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Corrado For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Corrado View Post
    Cuarto or Cualto if you want to pronounce it properly today just means money without any denomination affixed it could be 1 peso or 1 million. But you are right the name does (originally) refer to an extinct denomination of coin.
    It's what they say here when they don't have any money. Police never expect to hear it from a gringo. That's why they start laughing.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    It's what they say here when they don't have any money. Police never expect to hear it from a gringo. That's why they start laughing.
    You can use it to indicate that you have money.......a little or a lot, or no money at all . In any sentence you would say dinero, cuarto can replace it. Its just a rarely used word outside of Caribbean Spanish, and it is more akin to street slang now as the youngsters have taken to using it in their Raps, Dembow and Reggaeton. I imagine that it was funny to hear an foreigner speaking slang.

15. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Corrado For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,226 Times in 3,237 Posts

This is FAR from new and it is NOT just in the SU. this happens all over this country. these guys make less than $200 a month, they are hungry. I have never once had one be rude about it, they just basically are looking for some money to eat. I tell everyone keep a few 100rd bills to the side and just shake their hand, they are more than happy.
    In the past month

On PC - Mistertonite and myself were approached
    Circling baileys - MBL and I were pulled over by the same guys and I told them they already got theres. They rememebered and moved on

On the MOCA mountain to STI the other day, Myself and Trepp got stopped and one Came out in his only English phrase "Give me money"

If anyone read the coco bros report, myself and tgunzz got approached outside mcdonalds.

This happens all the time, throw em 100rd and they move on. Its really not worth the headache of arguing or starting a confrontation.
    En una tierra de mujeres hermosas, Yo soy El Rey

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by El-Rey View Post
    This is FAR from new and it is NOT just in the SU. this happens all over this country. these guys make less than $200 a month, they are hungry. I have never once had one be rude about it, they just basically are looking for some money to eat. I tell everyone keep a few 100rd bills to the side and just shake their hand, they are more than happy.
    In the past month

Circling baileys - MBL and I were pulled over by the same guys and I told them they already got theres. They rememebered and moved on

On the MOCA mountain to STI the other day, Myself and Trepp got stopped and one Came out in his only English phrase "Give me money"

If anyone read the coco bros report, myself and tgunzz got approached outside mcdonalds.

This happens all the time, throw em 100rd and they move on. Its really not worth the headache of arguing or starting a confrontation.
    fuck that it just makes them want and expect more each time they see you
    the only time I would pay a cop would be if I did somethingwrong or to get out of a jamb If I was stupid enough to get caught

hell even peter couldn't buy his way out of his problems..........yet.........and I am sure he made regular pay offs and 'tips'
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

18. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,420 Times in 1,613 Posts

Traveling to DR my entire life I had never once had to deal with the PN. This past trip in the span of two weeks I got shook down 3 times, and even twice in the same night. The first time I get pulled over in Herrera in Santo Domingo, cops come over to the drivers side of the taxi, tell him, and I to get out the car, the second I'm out the car one of the cops starts asking over, and over where are the drugs, it's about 2 AM, I'm in the middle of nowhere, and cops are asking about drugs, I gladly handed over $100 pesos to have them on their way.

Second, and third time I was driving with my boy it must have been like 1 AM, we get pulled over somewhere between Sabana Perdida and El Malecon, pretty standard, hand over $100 pesos keep it moving, about 5 minutes later we get pulled over right as you hit the Malecon, this time the cops asked us to get out. My boy was missing paperwork, and the cops wanted to take his car, we both realized being stranded past 1 AM in the morning on the Malecon, with no money, or way to get home wasn't going to be the best idea, my boy handed over the bottle of Johnny Walker Black, and some pesos as to not have the police take in his car.

I'm actually pretty glad I found this site, I never in my life had to deal with PN, I didn't know what the standard operating procedure was in terms of when they pull you over. After reading from a couple of guys posting that giving them $100 pesos, and you'll be on your merry way was enough, I kept that in the back of my mind.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,287 Times in 716 Posts

I drive all over the DR but most of the times I've been stopped have been in SDQ. As someone said, the PN don't make squat and this is the gringo supplement. I was pulled over once with a attorney I was dating and she told me that the PN can't give you a ticket, only the AMET. And I've never had AMET try to shake me down for anything. When the PN pull me over, I give them my license and insurance then we have a little exchange of words. You ran the red light, no I didn't, yes you did and so on. Or you were speeding or you crossed a solid white line, whatever they can concoct. Depending on my mood and how much time I have, I'll argue with them for a while just to aggravate them for pulling me over. Then I say; OK, I'll pay the fine. Let's go to your station. Then they start with how they can help me out and save me the trip. Just pay them now. I politely insist that we go to their station so I can pay the fine and they'll then give up and graciously let me go. Vaya con Dios!
    The only time I paid off the "cop" was just before Xmas a few years ago. I was heading out of SDQ on the Kennedy just before Los Alcarrizos. A single cop in a PN uniform on a moto pulled me over. That is unusual because they always travel in pairs. He didn't get off his bike but pulled it up to the passenger side door so I lowered the window. He asked only for my license. He had on a full motorcycle helmet with a tinted visor and didn't even lift the visor. And he kept looking up and down the highway while he talked to me. He told me I was speeding and I had to pay a fine. I started to argue but I was pretty sure this wasn't a cop.And he kept putting his hand on his gun while we talked. I asked how much was the fine. He said 4000P. I told him no way, I didn't have 4000P. Now he has his hand on his gun and I can tell by his voice he is upset. So I grabbed my wallet and showed him I only had 400P and offered it all to him. I had a carry on bag in the back seat (a mistake I've never repeated because it had all my valuables) so he asked what was in the bag. I told him only clothes. He thought about it for a second, grabbed the money, threw my license on the pax side floor and took off the wrong way up the autopista.
    Ah but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now!

Thanks
    Thanked 83,174 Times in 8,333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    fuck that it just makes them want and expect more each time they see you
    the only time I would pay a cop would be if I did somethingwrong or to get out of a jamb If I was stupid enough to get caught

hell even peter couldn't buy his way out of his problems..........yet.........and I am sure he made regular pay offs and 'tips'

I agree. I have never given them money when stopped on the street or at some roadblock. Just be polite and if they come right out and ask for money I just tell them I don't have any for them. I have never had anyone "push" the issue.
    Enjoy it while you can.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    fuck that it just makes them want and expect more each time they see you the only time I would pay a cop would be if I did something wrong or to get out of a jamb If I was stupid enough to get caught
    +1. Giving money should be the absolute last resort, and even then only if you actually did something wrong. The truth is they shake down everyone they believe will pay to get out of "trouble", both tourist and Dominican. The Dominicans just give them less, usually I see between 25-50 pesos. The poor or poorly connected can't always say no. Most of the people on this board can. Despite how shitty Law Enforcement is in the DR no official wants anything bad to happen to a LAW ABIDING (non monger) tourist, because of bad publicity in a tourism economy.

23. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Corrado For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 697 Posts

This happened to me many, many times.
    Most of the time while in and around SDQ.

First I try to play dumb to the pullover attempt, and keep going, make a right, left, whatever.

If they keep pursuing, I will pull over in a well lit area.
    Just like someone else said..they concoct some story about some BS infraction and tell me that I have to pay a fine on the spot.
    I have been asked for as much as 6000 pesos. It annoys the shit outta me that they think I'm that dumb.

I always pretend to not understand a word of spanish. After 10-15 minutes, most get frustrated to the point of..saying "vete"
    Some have enough english to where they attempt to scare me by saying If I don't pay on the spot I will go to jail. I always tell them "lets go..call your boss". Eventually..I get "vete".

Recently I was stopped on el Choco for a spot check.
    When the cop told me to pull over..I said "why". He says in perfect english (NYPD style)..
    "Cuz I said so...any more questions"
    They proceed to check me for guns..which to me is ludicrous..but oh well.

The other night, I paid my first ever police regalo.
    In Sosua..was minding my business talking on the phone sitting in the car. They pull up and ask me what I'm doing. I tried no speaky spanish.
    In english he said they were PN, and not to worry they were here for my protection. He also mentioned, that he's pretty sure I speak pretty good spanish..

He excused himself for the imposition twice before politely asking if I wouldn't mind giving a small regalo to help with the gas.
    I thought about it quickly..and handed over 100 pesos.
    Again he excused himself for the imposition, thanked me twice, and that was that.

Not sure why I paid it....I guess because he was cool about it, and didn't try to act like I did some BS traffic infraction.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

Morale of the story if you are going to drive in the DR you need to have pesos for the politur's ball.

26. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrblackluv View Post
    This happened to me many, many times.
    Most of the time while in and around SDQ.

First I try to play dumb to the pullover attempt, and keep going, make a right, left, whatever.

If they keep pursuing, I will pull over in a well lit area.
    Just like someone else said..they concoct some story about some BS infraction and tell me that I have to pay a fine on the spot.
    I have been asked for as much as 6000 pesos. It annoys the shit outta me that they think I'm that dumb.

I always pretend to not understand a word of spanish. After 10-15 minutes, most get frustrated to the point of..saying "vete"
    Some have enough english to where they attempt to scare me by saying If I don't pay on the spot I will go to jail. I always tell them "lets go..call your boss". Eventually..I get "vete".

Recently I was stopped on el Choco for a spot check.
    When the cop told me to pull over..I said "why". He says in perfect english (NYPD style)..
    "Cuz I said so...any more questions"
    They proceed to check me for guns..which to me is ludicrous..but oh well.

The other night, I paid my first ever police regalo.
    In Sosua..was minding my business talking on the phone sitting in the car. They pull up and ask me what I'm doing. I tried no speaky spanish.
    In english he said they were PN, and not to worry they were here for my protection. He also mentioned, that he's pretty sure I speak pretty good spanish..

He excused himself for the imposition twice before politely asking if I wouldn't mind giving a small regalo to help with the gas.
    I thought about it quickly..and handed over 100 pesos.
    Again he excused himself for the imposition, thanked me twice, and that was that.

Not sure why I paid it....I guess because he was cool about it, and didn't try to act like I did some BS traffic infraction.
    So I have heard, when its their time for the Politur, they are responsible for the gas they use. So if 100 pesos helps them with the gas, maybe you may need that cops help one day.

28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to twodogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    ........... maybe you may need that cops help one day.
    Try dialing 911 in the Puerto Plata Province. It goes to the answering machine 5 out of 6 times after 6PM. If you want help you better have his cell number.

30. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Corrado For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 183 Posts

The legal drinking age in the Dominican Republic is 18 years. You also have to be 18 to work in a bar. 18 is also the compulsory age for voting. The enforceability of these laws when it comes to drinking on a regular basis is a whole other story.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to leaseno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,369 Times in 366 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by El-Rey View Post
    In the past month

I have to say this one was funny. "Give me money". I just looked at the dude with a stupid face like I didn't understand a thing he was saying all the while I understood everything. El Rey thought I gave them money but we got away without giving them a thing. It was funny.

On another note, a few days later my boy and cousin were stopped on the main road right before making the turn onto the street leading to Casa Linda. It was a road block and they were stopping everyone. Neither of them had any ID on them including a drives license. Of course after my scolding they will never do it again. The cops let them go without asking for anything. Not all are bad.
    trEPP33

34. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to trEPP33 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information