Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 08/2013 - August 2013

Thanks
    Thanked 6,590 Times in 1,015 Posts

08/2013 - August 2013

Some pics from the last 24 hours (wasn't able to get a photo of the two bear cubs who crossed the road in front of my car in New York).

42 pesos and something exchange rate at the western union on the second floor of the SDQ airport (las americas santo domingo). Mormons have a large nice church and grounds in Santo Domingo.

Some bleach blondes I see here, I tell them they look like La Materialista, they like it. Wingman followed up that with a woman in Supermercado Nacional at Lincoln and 27 de Febrero. Good Rotisserie whole chickens at that supermarket, the lemon pepper flavored I enjoyed tonight.

Whatsapp somehow works even though I am not connected to a wifi network. I believe I was told at Claro, Internet access with a cell phone is about 50-55 pesos per day.
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,226 Times in 3,260 Posts

Re: August 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jao View Post
    Some pics from the last 24 hours (wasn't able to get a photo of the two bear cubs who crossed the road in front of my car in New York).

42 pesos and something exchange rate at the western union on the second floor of the SDQ airport (las americas santo domingo). Mormons have a large nice church and grounds in Santo Domingo.

Some bleach blondes I see here, I tell them they look like La Materialista, they like it. Wingman followed up that with a woman in Supermercado Nacional at Lincoln and 27 de Febrero. Good Rotisserie whole chickens at that supermarket, the lemon pepper flavored I enjoyed tonight.

Whatsapp somehow works even though I am not connected to a wifi network. I believe I was told at Claro, Internet access with a cell phone is about 50-55 pesos per day.

Was that a 1.75ltr for 950 pesos? Yeah love that Rotisserie chicken they even have Arizona ice tea. I had to buy a few. Memories of cheap snacks at 7-11 back in DC.
    I'm a Payer not a Player

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DMV For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DMV View Post
    Was that a 1.75ltr for 950 pesos? Yeah love that Rotisserie chicken they even have Arizona ice tea. I had to buy a few. Memories of cheap snacks at 7-11 back in DC.
    Supermercado National and Jumbo have a great cafeteria. Unreal ribs, pork leg with no fat and a chunk of chicharron, wings, whole chickens, half chickens... the list goes on and on.

Not the cheapest in town, but I like it!!
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DMV View Post
    That was at JFK, 950 dollars for a large bottle of whisky.

Sushi Ya on Avenida Pasteur was closed yesterday afternoon, maybe because of a small fire they had. I saw some of the casa chicas walking on Pasteur going to get lunch.

Good duty free shop for arriving passengers at SDQ airport, bought two 2 bottles of baileys, chicas sometimes like Baileys, (1ltr bottles) for $38US ($19 each). Also duty free shops at SDQ for departing passengers. Bought an Arturo Fuente cigar on the second floor of SDQ, it was OK. Claro also has a shop on the first floor of the airport, wingman got his sim card there for 150 pesos and added about 250 pesos in minutes, *122# press send should give the balance for a claro cell phone.

Saw a nice culon (big ass) in spandex waiting at the baggage carousel, 20 something year old chica with a cute face.

Had an amiga visit last night, she stayed the night, left her here in the apartment (I trust her 100% percent, none of my stuff was locked up, apartment was nice and neat when I returned). I went for a medical examination in San Pedro de Macoris, nice doctor, big strong guy, sort of like a young George Foreman, EKG and the exam was under $50US. Blood work and urine analysis, will get the results tomorrow (that was a different price, also a chest x-ray at a different place, all very nice people).
    Last edited by Jao; 08-21-2013 at 04:26 PM.

8. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Supermercado National and Jumbo have a great cafeteria. Unreal ribs, pork leg with no fat and a chunk of chicharron, wings, whole chickens, half chickens... the list goes on and on.

Not the cheapest in town, but I like it!!
    The whole cooked chicken was about 129 pesos per pound, it was good.

La Base Bar on Avenida Espana now called Andy Sport Bar.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,625 Times in 1,690 Posts

If you don't mind carrying your passport or a copy of it to get an exchange than Western Union is imo the best place to exchange. I always get the current rate. On another note that rate keeps going up. Just clocked it at 42.29 on my app

Quick question Jao... at the JFK duty free did you happen to notice if they carried the 1.75L 1800 Coconut?

The Game Should Be Sold Not Told

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blazaveli For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blazaveli View Post
    If you don't mind carrying your passport or a copy of it to get an exchange than Western Union is imo the best place to exchange. I always get the current rate. On another note that rate keeps going up. Just clocked it at 42.29 on my app

Quick question Jao... at the JFK duty free did you happen to notice if they carried the 1.75L 1800 Coconut?

Click to see pic
    Not yet, but I will be on the lookout for it. Passed a large liquor store on Av. 27 de Febrero heading west (north side of 27 de Febrero) when I went to Supermercado Nacional the other day, maybe they have it. I'll also check the duty free shops at the airports.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Pasteur

Photo of a pair of casa chicas walking on Pasteur, I saw several others in the afternoon, between the malecon and avenida indpendencia. New hotel one block and a little up from Independencia on Avenida Pasteur, Hostal San Francisco de Asis, I believe chica friendly, rates maybe around $50US per night. Two blocks north from Independencia on Pasteur a plaza with places to eat including Sushi Ya, around the corner a Pizza Hut and across the street from the Pizza Hut a money exchange place and two blocks west from there is Colmado Pujols and across the street from Colmado Pujols is O y M University Tourism building school, for students studying tourism, some pretty university students sometimes sit outside the colmado.
    Last edited by Jao; 08-28-2013 at 06:53 PM.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Day 2.3

Haitian run Cigar Shop at the Barcelo Santo Domingo Hotel (might be owned by a Dominicana). They also sell Havana Club Rum and other rums. Havana Club Añejo I was told costs about $25US at that shop. I bought two Santana Cigars, smoked one in the Barcelo's Cigar lounge with a glass of red wine from Chile. Coral tiles on the walls in the cigar lounge, small garden area in the lounge with bamboo plants, cigar leaf art hanging in frames, NBA TV on one of the flat screen televisions in the cigar lounge, showing a slam dunk contest from many years ago (with Dr. J, Larry Nance).

Some tourist chicas were taking photos in front of the fountain at the National Theater same time I was taking a photo, I don't know the woman in the photo.

Mormon Church in the daytime and a house down the block from where I am staying. Walked around in the early evening, easy walk to Supermercado Nacional on Maximo Gomez which I believe is open till 10 PM.

The Canon camera I am using sat in a bowl of water for over an hour before the trip by accident, still takes good photos.
    Last edited by Jao; 08-22-2013 at 12:20 PM.

18. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Pizzarelli

New location on El Conde half a block from Hard Rock Cafe. In front of the Cathedral and the park. Pizzarelli very clean (bathrooms nice and clean), good friendly service. Small bottle of Santa Rita Cabernet from Chile, sat outside and smoked a Montecristo cigar (good cigar) that I bought at the cigar shop on El Conde at Calle Hostos across the street from the Hotel Mercure. I had earlier gone to buy a power chord at the hardware store on El Conde and Calle Duarte, good service in that hardware store, Ferreteria Cuesta. At La Cadena Supermarket and Supermercado Nacional a worker bags the groceries and takes them to your car and puts the bags into the trunk of your car.

Spoke to the owner of Esedeku House (nice guy from Spain), on Calle Duarte two blocks south of El Conde, apartment rentals. Improvements with construction and some roads closed in zona colonial. Some photos taken with the cell phone and others with the digital camera. The metal tube that some cigars have, can be reused, to place a partially smoked cigar.
    Last edited by Jao; 08-30-2013 at 03:57 AM.

20. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks

42.2 exchange rate August 20, 2013, Western Union SDQ airport

Quote Originally Posted by blazaveli View Post
    I used the BanReservas exchange booth the last trip and they told me Western Union had a slightly better exchange (just a little bit of longer walk from the escalators for Western Union). My father worked for Western Union laying cable.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Pizzarelli

New location on El Conde half a block from Hard Rock Cafe. In front of the Cathedral and the park. Pizzarelli very clean (bathrooms nice and clean), good friendly service. Small bottle of Santa Rita Cabernet from Chile, sat outside and smoked a Montecristo cigar (good cigar) that I bought at the cigar shop on El Conde at Calle Hostos across the street from the Hotel Mercure. I had earlier gone to buy a power chord at the hardware store on El Conde and Calle Duarte, good service in that hardware store, Ferreteria Cuesta. At La Cadena Supermarket and Supermercado Nacional a worker bags the groceries and takes them to your car and puts the bags into the trunk of your car.

Spoke to the owner of Esedeku House (nice guy from Spain), on Calle Duarte two blocks south of El Conde, apartment rentals. Improvements with construction and some roads closed in zona colonial. Some photos taken with the cell phone and others with the digital camera.
    They're finally getting serious about fixing up the Colonial City....

http://arquitexto.com/2013/08/tu-nue...udad-colonial/

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Pizzarelli

They're finally getting serious about fixing up the Colonial City....

http://arquitexto.com/2013/08/tu-nue...udad-colonial/
    Good article with photos (I didn't read the whole article yet) looks like they might be burying some of the overhead electric cables.

If someone is planning to drive into zona colonial, they might want to look at a map beforehand for alternate roads for some routes, the road I usually take to get back onto the malecon was closed (the road was dug out).

I am heading north in a little while, with probably three stops before I get to Santiago (looking forward to getting some cigars in the cigar shop at the gran almirante hotel in santiago). Will visit some friends between Santo Domingo and Santiago (near villa altagracia, La Vega and maybe a stop in Bonao). Then some friends in Santiago.

The amigas who have visited have been excellent, good cooks, and they clean the kitchen afterwards, no complaints. Bought some mangos from a guy in the street while waiting in traffic on avenida mexico heading west before maximo gomez. Very good mango, ripe and juicy (the amigas cut it into pieces for me).

Very nice apartment from AirBnB. Washer and dryer, I washed some of my clothes, button down shirts dried quickly on a hangar. Internet, full kitchen, big refrigerator, no problem smoking a cigar here, secure underground parking. Windows are open no need for A/C in the living room area, nice breeze, no screens in the windows, no mosquitoes. Bedroom Air Conditioner works good, nice view to the Sea. $75US per night, two bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms and 2 half bathrooms. Cooking utensils, sheets, towels etc.

26. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Carrefour

Northern part of Santo Domingo near the neighborhood Los Alcarizos. On the way when traveling to Bonao, La Vega and Santiago (and other towns). Good selection of wines and spirits also sells groceries and items for the home. Some cabanas five minutes from Carrefour.

I stopped in La Vega and the La Sirena there, nice supermarket.

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks

hoy

Un rato pasado.
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (41.4 KB, 66 vistas)

30. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Final Days

An amiga visited earlier in the day, blowjob on the balcony and full sex in the bedroom, gave her food stuff from the kitchen that I wasn't going to eat. She went home and another amiga visited, enjoyable time with her. Was given a cachapa (Venezuelan food) from Don Pan (Novocentro) https://foursquare.com/v/don-pan/4ef...3446a507796c5d it was good and filling http://listin.com.do/la-vida/2012/5/...-en-la-cachapa along with a pineapple batida (shake). Drove to San Pedro de Macoris around 6pm. From the first military base on Avenida Espana made it to a bridge that begins San Pedro de Macoris in 45 minutes, 10 minutes later was at the Jumbo in San Pedro de Macoris. Saw two amigas in San Pedro de Macoris (my favorite amigas are usually from San Pedro de Macoris).

Got back to Santo Domingo around 10PM. Packed my bags, cleaned up the apartment and drove to the airport after midnight. Isla Gasoline Station on the main highway to the airport is open 24/7. I filled up the rental car at the Texaco gas station close to the airport (also open 24/7). Returned the rental, which took 5 minutes. Checked in at Delta, no lines. Some restaurants (including Emparedado open 24 hours at the airport, http://www.emparedado.com) and the bar was open on the first floor of the Las Americas Airport (SDQ) at 1AM. Duty free shop was open inside the terminal area after security. Patrón Añejo, $50US at that duty free shop. Small coffee place open which also sells bottled water for $2US. Was given a free upgrade to First Class by Delta (thank you Delta). Watched part of Gangster Squad until I fell asleep, woke up and there was 30 minutes till landing at JFK.

For Penthouse in Santo Domingo, make a right on Calle Caonabo when heading west on Ave. 27 de Febrero at the BanReservas Bank in the photo (just before Plaza de Banderas) and enter the first parking lot on the left. Penthouse is on the roof of a building adjacent to that parking lot (I haven't been to Penthouse in years, not sure if it is still open). Showgirls is on the side road that runs aside Avenida Kennedy just west of Avenida Maximo Gomez. Take Maximo Gomez north to Avenida Kennedy, make a left on Kennedy, stay to your right on Kennedy and when Kennedy starts to elevate you will see Showgirls on the right (I haven't visited Showgirls yet, the now closed Showgirls in Juan Dolio was fun). GBP (1000 for one or 1500 for two) is on the second floor of the building in the photo, south side of 27 de Febrero between Lincoln and Tiradentes (I didn't visit GBP this trip).

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Miscellaneous

Just about every home in the DR will have a greka de cafe. Stove top coffee maker, depending on its size, usually makes one cup of coffee at a time. I have visited homes and been given an excellent cup of coffee made with the greka. For a larger quantity of coffee in a place with no large coffee maker, boil water in a pot, add coffee and then filter with a metal coffee filter (light weight can be packed in luggage). If renting an apartment and will be preparing meals in the apartment a good sharp, knife packed in the luggage might be useful to have (victorinox are good and sharp and not overly expensive http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-475.../dp/B000QCNJ3C). Good size zip lock bags can be good to have, for coffee or sugar or to put wet shorts in, before putting them in luggage.

Some of the minibuses from points east (Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, La Romana) may stop near Park Enriquillo (which is just north of Chinatown). Chinatown is just north of zona colonial. Calle Duarte runs through Chinatown. Many clothes stores on Calle Duarte from Chinatown to north of Avenida 27 de Febrero. Attractive women shop and work at those stores. Calle Duarte runs adjacent to Park Enriquillo. At the northern edge of Park Enriquillo is a closed street with booksellers.

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Miscellaneous

Just about every home in the DR will have a greka de cafe. Stove top coffee maker, depending on its size, usually makes one cup of coffee at a time. I have visited homes and been given an excellent cup of coffee made with the greka. For a larger quantity of coffee in a place with no large coffee maker, boil water in a pot, add coffee and then filter with a metal coffee filter (light weight can be packed in luggage). If renting an apartment and will be preparing meals in the apartment a good sharp, knife packed in the luggage might be useful to have (victorinox are good and sharp and not overly expensive http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-475.../dp/B000QCNJ3C). Good size zip lock bags can be good to have, for coffee or sugar or to put wet shorts in, before putting them in luggage.

Some of the minibuses from points east (Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, La Romana) may stop near Park Enriquillo (which is just north of Chinatown). Chinatown is just north of zona colonial. Calle Duarte runs through Chinatown. Many clothes stores on Calle Duarte from Chinatown to north of Avenida 27 de Febrero. Attractive women shop and work at those stores. Calle Duarte runs adjacent to Park Enriquillo. At the northern edge of Park Enriquillo is a closed street with booksellers.
    The secret to making great coffee with a Greca is to not pack the coffee tightly in the little metal basket. Just a spoon or two of grounds to fill the basket, and no tamping down. That allows the boiling water to pass easily through the grounds.

That makes a big difference on how well it comes out.

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The secret to making great coffee with a Greca is to not pack the coffee tightly in the little metal basket. Just a spoon or two of grounds to fill the basket, and no tamping down. That allows the boiling water to pass easily through the grounds.

That makes a big difference on how well it comes out.
    Thanks.

My mistake I packed the coffee in and it didn't come out as delicious as the coffee I have had prepared for me in a Dominican home. In many places the milk is heated so you get a hot cup of coffee. For Irish Coffee, add Baileys in place of milk (or http://www.the-baileys-lounge.bailey...appuccino.aspx).

Cocoa is grown in the Dominican Republic, http://www.godominicanrepublic.com/r...mid=36&lang=en (cacao in Spanish pronounced like Kah Kow). Kah Kow Chocolate Shop in Blue Mall, Santo Domingo, http://www.listindiario.com/la-repub...laza-Blue-Mall. JW Marriott Hotel at the Blue Mall, Santo Domingo will probably open in 3-4 months.

On a future trip I will bring some loose leaf Assam tea (from the Assam region of India, http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/tea/...black-tea.html). For Thai Ice Tea, poor the prepared tea over ice cubes then top with sweetened condensed milk (sweetened condensed milk can be purchased in the supermarket in the Rep. Dom.). For hot tea, add sugar and a mix of milk and cream (to approximate half and half).

The Macorix brand cigars I have purchased online in the States have been enjoyable smokes, http://www.cigarsinternational.com/c...68768/macorix/.

La Aurora makes some good cigars as well, http://www.laaurora.com.do/.

Page with some photos and info about some of the Religious buildings that can be found in the DR, http://www.grouppalmera.com/DominicanRepublic.aspx . Drove by the large modern looking Church in La Vega on a late Sunday afternoon and saw a good number of people at the park in front of the church. Moca and San Pedro de Macoris also have nice churches. Also a saw cute Mormon Church in La Vega.

Last edited by Jao; 09-08-2013 at 05:32 PM.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jao For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks.

My mistake I packed the coffee in and it didn't come out as delicious as the coffee I have had prepared for me in a Dominican home. In many places the milk is heated so you get a hot cup of coffee. For Irish Coffee, add Baileys in place of milk (or http://www.the-baileys-lounge.bailey...appuccino.aspx).

Cocoa is grown in the Dominican Republic, http://www.godominicanrepublic.com/r...mid=36&lang=en (cacao in Spanish pronounced like Kah Kow). Kah Kow Chocolate Shop in Blue Mall, Santo Domingo, http://www.listindiario.com/la-repub...laza-Blue-Mall. JW Marriott Hotel at the Blue Mall, Santo Domingo will probably open in 3-4 months.

On a future trip I will bring some loose leaf Assam tea (from the Assam region of India, http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/tea/...black-tea.html). For Thai Ice Tea, poor the prepared tea over ice cubes then top with sweetened condensed milk (sweetened condensed milk can be purchased in the supermarket in the Rep. Dom.). For hot tea, add sugar and a mix of milk and cream (to approximate half and half).

The Macorix brand cigars I have purchased online in the States have been enjoyable smokes, http://www.cigarsinternational.com/c...68768/macorix/.

La Aurora makes some good cigars as well, http://www.laaurora.com.do/.

Page with some photos and info about some of the Religious buildings that can be found in the DR, http://www.grouppalmera.com/DominicanRepublic.aspx . Drove by the large modern looking Church in La Vega on a late Sunday afternoon and saw a good number of people at the park in front of the church. Moca and San Pedro de Macoris also have nice churches. Also a saw cute Mormon Church in La Vega.

The wall with the 3 sq ft. white glass panels is now gone, and there is a temporary barrier wall that has been set up there to block the view while they work on the entrance/elevators that will constructed in the front.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information