Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 05/2014 - Siempre Sol is Closing

Winter: Sosua * Summer: Sometimes North, Sometime South
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,829 Times in 2,435 Posts

05/2014 - Siempre Sol is Closing

I was just informed by Herman that he will be closing Siempre Sol. Herman had told me a few months ago that he was getting tired of running a bar. He wants to be able to enjoy life and do things that he wants to do for a change. He did not give me an exact date but he told me it was in 10 days. I am not sure if the bar will exist in some other form or with other owners as Siempre Sol as Herman had once suggested.

I want to thank Herman for the many years of fun that he has provided. I sometimes wonder how many grandes I have had there....hundreds I would suppose. I met many good friends and many chicas at his place over the years. I will miss it.

All the best Herman.
    Give me a chair on a beach....hand me a beer....have some chicas hanging around....oh happy days!!

C.I.S.O.C.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,726 Times in 1,029 Posts

Re: Siempre Sol is Closing

I wish Herman all the best too. He has given me great advice over the years, going back to 2002. His was the first bar I went to in Sosua. I've met a lot of people through him, both tourists and expats. He has always treated me well, including providing many "mamajuanas" on the house. He always offered interesting conversation with a European flavour.

cheers to Herman

Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 1,038 Posts

Never hung out there, but every time I passed there was a regular crowd. How does naming rights in the DR work? Can the next owner keep the name?

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Gutter Meat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

Yep, that was place to find Ram if you were looking for him. Wishing Herman the best!

7. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,816 Times in 253 Posts

Siempre Sol on the Beach

My understanding is tomorrow is Herman's last day at Siempre Sol (#145 on Sosua Beach).

Does anyone know if he sold the place or is just closing? His place has been quiet the last couple years I have passed by and I recall he was quite ill last August too. He's been there for quite a few years.
    Last edited by Festy; 06-07-2014 at 08:29 AM. Reason: can't frickin spell

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Festy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

Re: 05/2014 - Siempre Sol is Closing

merging festy thread to this

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Siempre Sol on the Beach

Quote Originally Posted by Festy View Post
    My understanding is tomorrow is Herman's last day at Siempre Sol (#145 on Sosua Beach).

Does anyone know if he sold the place or is just closing? His place has been quiet the last couple years I have passed by and I recall he was quite ill last August too. He's been there for quite a few years.
    He sent out a note today on Facebook that tomorrow is his last day. He said it was closing. He was talking about selling it and the buyers were taking over the name but I am not sure if this worked out. He has been ill but he was back to health in April. He told me he want to close just because he is tired of running a beach bar (16 years), he no longer needs the money as his pension has full kicked in. Herman said he wants to be more like the rest of the guys on the beach, they can come and go as they please and who wants to work when you are creeping up on 70.
    Last edited by Ram; 06-07-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 22,294 Times in 3,816 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    He sent out a note today on Facebook that tomorrow is his last day. He said it was closing. He was talking about selling it and the buyers were taking over the name but I am not sure if this worked out. He has been ill but he was back to health in April. He told me he want to close just because he is tired of running a beach bar (16 years), he no longer needs the money as his pension has full kicked in. Herman said he wants to be more like the rest of the guys on the beach, they can come and go as they please and who wants to work when you are creeping up on 70.

So where should I expect to bump into you on the beach now mi amigo?

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ErikS For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ErikS View Post
    Oh, I don't know....just stroll up and down, I am sure to be somewhere!! It was great seeing you last time!

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ram For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ErikS View Post

just go to Ted's bar

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 436 Posts

Was there last month and Herman told me about closing. He said that he knows that he doesn't have much time left to really enjoy his life, and that the beach crowd isn't what it used to be. A few years ago his pension kicked in and IMO he changed a lot, was much more relaxed. That's probably about the time he closed the kitchen now that I think about it. I know a lot of people don't like him, but I do. He can be a bit chismoso sometimes but he would be the first person to tell you to watch out when dealing with suspect people or suspect situations. I will miss the old place and Herman, I had a lot of fun there.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,726 Times in 1,029 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swiggy View Post
    Was there last month and Herman told me about closing. He said that he knows that he doesn't have much time left to really enjoy his life, and that the beach crowd isn't what it used to be. A few years ago his pension kicked in and IMO he changed a lot, was much more relaxed. That's probably about the time he closed the kitchen now that I think about it. I know a lot of people don't like him, but I do. He can be a bit chismoso sometimes but he would be the first person to tell you to watch out when dealing with suspect people or suspect situations. I will miss the old place and Herman, I had a lot of fun there.
    Well said. I feel precisely the same way.

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Count For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevy View Post
    just go to Ted's bar
    Only after midnight! It's walking distance from my apartment!!

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ram For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,253 Times in 7,381 Posts

I didn't go to Herman's much, maybe once a trip. Usually I would be at Rubys with Seville and whoever else might be around.

But Herman could be a bullshitter of the first order. Once while sitting with him at his bar, he flat out told me that Seville, as a thank you from Ruby for promoting her spot on the beach, was getting a 10% cut off the top of her revenue for his own pockets. I pleaded ignorance at his assertion and later when I mentioned this to Seville, he got a good laugh out of it, and then I think became a little miffed that Herman would say such a thing. And to be fair, Seville assured me that it was all bullshit, which I figured.

Anyway, all water under the bridge now. Hope the old man can enjoy what years he has left. But that is just too nice of a bar to be vacant for too long I would think. Someone must be looking at that place as a business opportunity.

25. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    But Herman could be a bullshitter of the first order.
    Its not that he could be, he is a bullshitter of the first order. The man was losing it in the last few years. Too many years and too much alcohol...combined with the way Sosua is as a small town. You should hear some of the things owners say about other owners in this little town. More than it's share of bitter people in Sosua. This I have learned in the past year and a half. As long as you are not mixed up in it, it can be quite amusing.

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    Sosua is as a small town. You should hear some of the things owners say about other owners in this little town.
    the same thing happens in small towns all over: '' if you don't hear a rumour by 10am you start one"
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

28. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 27,984 Times in 7,129 Posts

From Sosua News

Herman of Siempre Sol enjoys his retirement

In early June Herman, the owner of the beach bar Siempre Sol, decided to start enjoying his well-deserved retirement. Siempre Sol is so no more and is for rent now.

Mauricio and Herman (R)

In 1996, Herman, with his then girlfriend Esco, made an exploration tour of the island.

After this they decided to start a beach bar on the beach of Sosúa. They found a place and turned it into 'Siempre Sol', an eye catcher. Herman had sufficient marketing knowledge to know that promotion was the first step to success. He had T shirts, buttons, caps, stickers and business cards printed with Siempre Sol on it. Soon after, half of Sosúa walked around with such a T shirt or button.

It must be said, Herman did very well on the beach of Sosúa. It was very rare when you saw Herman with no customers at his bar. Many came back faithfully every holiday. Herman was a good host for everyone. But after 18 years, it was enough and he wants the years that lie before him, enjoy his retirement. We will miss you, Herman, for Siempre Sol was not just a beach bar, no, it was the place to be at the beach of Sosúa.

One the Sosua success stories that a many have tried to emulate but few succeeded. Good Luck and Good Health to him in his retirement...
    DON’T HATE THE PLAYER !!!!! “HATE THE GAME”

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

There has been a lot of work on the bar over the past three days, its being re-painted and thoroughly cleaned. Some roof work and other construction was going on but I did not look that close to tell what is going on exactly. I am guessing that Herman is not doing this in preparation to rent, but probably someone has already rented the bar or it has been sold. ???
    I do not care what you think. Pour me a coffee.

31. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jose1234 View Post
    There has been a lot of work on the bar over the past three days, its being re-painted and thoroughly cleaned. Some roof work and other construction was going on but I did not look that close to tell what is going on exactly. I am guessing that Herman is not doing this in preparation to rent, but probably someone has already rented the bar or it has been sold. ???

Why do you think Herman owns it? I'm sure he was renting from the owner, and just stopped renting it. I'd guess somebody else has rented it and will be opening soon.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

33. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 52,955 Times in 9,807 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Why do you think Herman owns it? I'm sure he was renting from the owner, and just stopped renting it. I'd guess somebody else has rented it and will be opening soon.
    Exactly, nobody owns those stalls. They just rent. Now a new sucker took over most likely at $4,000 a month or more.

35. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Señor JDR of Medellin For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information