Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Thread: 06/2014 - The Countdown Begins - (The end of SOSUA!!Part II)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,920 Times in 2,853 Posts

Re: 06/2014 - The Countdown Begins - (The end of SOSUA!!Part II)

Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post

ps You seem to be getting a lot of joy out of the changes happening in Sosua eldorob....you have a dog in the race?

No dog. And where have you seen me express joy? I do think the beach is a pigsty and smells like piss, especially after a rain. But as to the info written I'm just passing on what see and hear. I know some business owners and some gov't folks - they are in it to win. And I've been thru all the past crackdowns as well, and this isn't a normal crackdown that will eventually go away. This is a change for PC (and the town) that they are not planning on backing off.

Dominicans may not be the most efficient when it comes to making changes (bars with curtains, dress codes?, etc.) but don't let that fool you. There is huge money and public support behind this.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ROVER View Post
    From Sosua News

El Flow changed into Premium Disco Bar

Bar El Flow, formerly known as Super Colmado El Flow has passed into new hands and they renamed the bar into 'Premium Disco Bar & Café'.

Click to see pic Premium Disco Bar & Café

Luckily the bar policy has changed little. Every Friday evening until midnight you can still buy a bucket of beer with 5 bottles of beer (on ice) for only 300 pesos.

Every Sunday afternoon, from 1 PM it is Karaoke time which then continues until late in the evening. After midnight on weekends the nightclub in the back of the Bar Disco opens and everyone who likes to dance can enjoy themselves.

So the name has changed from El Flow into Premium Disco Bar & Café, but the atmosphere has fortunately remained unchanged.

O.K. boots on the ground who's the new owner(s) ???
    Man that picture looks great If you told me that was a place in downtown Miami I would believe it

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BorisDaBulletDodger View Post
    Man that picture looks great If you told me that was a place in downtown Miami I would believe it
    Yes, I was in there four weeks ago and it was nice...with A/C I don't remember the beer prices, but it was similar to everywhere else. They had karaoke in there one night and loud Dominican music the other night I was there... They had small tables and chairs on the sidewalk. Its a good place to rest and watch the chicas walk by in the evening.

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BorisDaBulletDodger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jose1234 View Post
    Yes, I was in there four weeks ago and it was nice...with A/C I don't remember the beer prices, but it was similar to everywhere else. They had karaoke in there one night and loud Dominican music the other night I was there... They had small tables and chairs on the sidewalk. Its a good place to rest and watch the chicas walk by in the evening.

I was in there a few times my last couple of trips. I'm not a huge fan of indoor bars/clubs while in the DR, but I have to say this place probably has the nicest interior of anyplace on PC. If it weren't for being heavily populated by locals and mostly Dominican music, the place would probably have a NA feel to it.
    Vida es buena....

Thanks
    Thanked 28,089 Times in 7,183 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ROVER View Post
    Just to give this conversation some balance this anti prostitution campaign is not limited to Sosua.

It seems now to be almost an international push-back by some countries where because of prostitution they have become a major mongering destination.

Here is a part of an email I received from a friend today arriving in Panama:

"plane got delayed in Miami and I flew a girl in from mde and she got there before me. she didn't want to go thru immigration without me. good thing, 2 fucking hours of interrogation. back and forth with the supervisor. calling the hotel had to go get a electronic receipt for the return ticket for both of us.

We had to agree to us both getting fingerprinted a real pain in the ass. Finally they let her go. She had 500 dollars in pesos but they said that wasn't good enough. Needed cash. I just gave it to her in front of the guy. I didn't think she was going to get thru but,they finally let her go."
    From Dominican Today

33 Dominicans held at hotel in Trinidad & Tobago

Port of Spain.– Thirty-tree Dominican nationals along with two Colombians and one Guyanese were arrested during a police raid at a popular hotel in Marabella, in San Fernando, Trinidad & Tobago, on Thursday night.

According to a police report released Friday, a team of agents –including Fraud Squad, Counter Trafficking Unit and immigration officials– visited the hotel, where they found scantily dressed women, allegedly soliciting clients.

The women were taken to the San Fernando CID, where they were interviewed through interpreters.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All these Caribbean places : Trinidad & Tobago, D.R., Panama and so on never had any real push back against mongering until recently. It seems to be the international trend now to define working girls as "trafficking victims".

With the world economies picking up and crime receding it may be that law enforcement agencies need a reason to justify their size and budgets. Just look at how many agencies were involved with this small operation. Couldn't they find something better to spend their time and resources on ?
    DON’T HATE THE PLAYER !!!!! “HATE THE GAME”

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 55,585 Times in 14,260 Posts

On the one hand I want LE out there chasing criminals involved in trafficking (read that slavery), especially involving kids. OTOH it is a shame that many engaged in legal activities, and in most countries prostitution is legal, get painted with the same brush as the criminals.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PapiQueRico For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,949 Times in 4,636 Posts

This is all I needed to see

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    The more things change, the more they remain the same.

This country goes through up and downs every few years or so. they Clamp down, then everything slowly returns to normal. I can't even begin to remember how many crackdowns I've been through in the past.

When you live here, it pretty much becomes something to laugh about over a beer.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemp For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Thread Information