Thread: 02/2016 - Ex NY Times reporter found dead in her Sosua apartment.

Thanks
    Thanked 27,984 Times in 7,129 Posts

02/2016 - Ex NY Times reporter found dead in her Sosua apartment.

US citizen found dead in northern Dominican Republic

EZEQUIEL ABIU LOPEZ,Associated Press Tue, Feb 23 5:33 PM PST

SOSUA, Dominican Republic (AP) — A U.S. citizen who worked for more than a decade as a reporter for The New York Times was found dead at her home in a northern beach town of the Dominican Republic, officials said Tuesday.

The body of Sarah Kershaw was found Monday at her apartment in Sosua, where she moved with her husband, William Norton, in 2014. Norton was being questioned about her death, said Osvaldo Bonilla, a prosecutor for the province of Puerto Plata.

An initial police statement said Kershaw appeared to have died from asphyxiation, but Bonilla said a cause of death had not been established. He said an autopsy was expected to take several days and authorities had not ruled out suicide or homicide.
    "We are waiting for the final forensic report to determine the real cause of the death," Bonilla said.

Norton is an editor and writer who has worked for a number of U.S. publications. He did not have a lawyer in the Dominican Republic and could not be reached for comment.

Kershaw, 49, worked as a reporter for The New York Times in 2000-2011. She previously worked for the newspaper Newsday on New York's Long Island, among other publications, and was a freelance writer at the time of her death.

The couple moved to Sosua, an area popular among expatriates in the Dominican Republic, shortly after they married.
    A neighbor, Tony Cuevas, said Kershaw spent most mornings writing on the balcony of the Trade Winds apartments and the afternoons by the pool with her dog. "They are very laid back," he said of the couple.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Dominican Today

US man arrested in alleged murder of American reporter(Update)

Santiago.- An US national was found allegedly strangled by her partner of the same nationality in the TradeWinds housing project in Sosúa, Puerto Plata.

Police said the body of the victim Sarah Stratton Kershaw was found in the project’s apartment No. 38, and arrested William Paul Norton, who lives at the same address.

Coroner Mario Cesar Lopez certified the woman’s death as asphyxia by hanging.

The National Police North Region said several medications and empty alcohol bottles were found in the crime scene, adding that the woman’s body will be sent to Forensics in Santiago to determine the cause of death.

Since he has now been arrested guilty or innocent this guy may be in for one hell of a ride for sure !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DON’T HATE THE PLAYER !!!!! “HATE THE GAME”

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 273 Posts

Ex NY Times reporter found dead in her Sosua apartment.

SOSUA, Dominican Republic -- A U.S. citizen who worked for more than a decade as a reporter for The New York Times was found dead at her home in a northern beach town of the Dominican Republic, officials said Tuesday.

The body of Sarah Kershaw was found Monday at her apartment in Sosua, where she moved with her husband, William Norton, in 2014. Norton was being questioned about her death, said Osvaldo Bonilla, a prosecutor for the province of Puerto Plata.

An initial police statement said Kershaw appeared to have died from asphyxiation, but Bonilla said a cause of death had not been established. He said an autopsy was expected to take several days and authorities had not ruled out suicide or homicide.

sarahkershawdominicanrepublicap409181184765.jpg
    This photo shows the entrance to the second floor apartment, top left, lined with potted plants, where U.S. journalist Sarah Kershaw lived, in Sosua, Dominica Republic, Feb. 23, 2016. AP
    "We are waiting for the final forensic report to determine the real cause of the death," Bonilla said.

Norton is an editor and writer who has worked for a number of U.S. publications. He did not have a lawyer in the Dominican Republic and could not be reached for comment.

Kershaw, 49, worked as a reporter for The New York Times in 2000-2011. She previously worked for the newspaper Newsday on New York's Long Island, among other publications, and was a freelance writer at the time of her death.

The couple moved to Sosua, an area popular among expatriates in the Dominican Republic, shortly after they married.

A neighbor, Tony Cuevas, said Kershaw spent most mornings writing on the balcony of the Trade Winds apartments and the afternoons by the pool with her dog.

"They are very laid back," he said of the couple.
    "The Brinks Truck Never Follows The Hearse"

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to howudoen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Re: Ex NY Times reporter found dead in her Sosua apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by howudoen View Post
    SOSUA, Dominican Republic -- A U.S. citizen who worked for more than a decade as a reporter for The New York Times was found dead at her home in a northern beach town of the Dominican Republic, officials said Tuesday.

I copied the original post about this from this thread over to yours to update your post

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...OES-ON-(SOSUA)
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,100 Times in 634 Posts

She's dead, he's fucked....who knows what the truth is. It's a given that the DR justice system is corrupt and probably inept at determining what really happened.

9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to madvillian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madvillian View Post
    She's dead, he's fucked....who knows what the truth is. It's a given that the DR justice system is corrupt and probably inept at determining what really happened.
    As I've heard it put elsewhere -- in all honesty, as Dr. Michael Savage of "The Savage Nation" put it, discussing the "opportune" death of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia ... "Who stands to benefit from this death?"
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,254 Times in 7,381 Posts

I am almost willing to bet that there was some extra curricular activities involved here. Jealousy, betrayal, cheating.

Just wondering since it involved American citizens, will the accused be extradited to the States to stand trial or will the DR courts handle the case?

A sad and tragic ending for the woman nonetheless.

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    I am almost willing to bet that there was some extra curricular activities involved here. Jealousy, betrayal, cheating.

Just wondering since it involved American citizens, will the accused be extradited to the States to stand trial or will the DR courts handle the case?

I don't think they can extradite to the US since no crime was committed in the US.

15. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    I am almost willing to bet that there was some extra curricular activities involved here. Jealousy, betrayal, cheatin

I've known Paul and Sarah for a couple of years. Both of them moved to DR not to retire, but to continuing writing for different publications. As strange as Paul was with other people, I never had any issues with him because I just thought he was an intervert . Sarah was amazing and a funny person to chat with. One day pool side she asked me after watching a very large monger with a flakita ; do you think the girl enjoys the sex with him? The look on her face was priceless when I told her the girl is only interested in what's in the back pocket, not whats in his front.

This article kind of says it all as to what happened. Just for the record, Paul was not involved with Sarah's death, and has been released..... RIP Sarah....

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/27/bu...=44946860&_r=1
    “I don’t know the question, but sex is definitely the answer.”

17. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Thumbs Up Re: Ex NY Times reporter found dead in her Sosua apartment.

Paulnhas been exonorated and released.
    Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder View Post
    I've known Paul and Sarah for a couple of years. Both of them moved to DR not to retire, but to continuing writing for different publications. As strange as Paul was with other people, I never had any issues with him because I just thought he was an intervert . Sarah was amazing and a funny person to chat with. One day pool side she asked me after watching a very large monger with a flakita ; do you think the girl enjoys the sex with him? The look on her face was priceless when I told her the girl is only interested in what's in the back pocket, not whats in his front.

This article kind of says it all as to what happened. Just for the record, Paul was not involved with Sarah's death, and has been released..... RIP Sarah....

When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Siochana View Post
    Paulnhas been exonorated and released.

I did write that as well. Not sure if you mis read what I posted about Paul...

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 27,984 Times in 7,129 Posts

Thanks for the update and sharing your personal insight.

It is extremely sad when somebody believes that taking their life is the solution as opposed to continue living.

May God have mercy on her soul and may she find the peace she sought.

R.I.P. Sarah Kershaw

23. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ROVER For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Thumbs Up Re: Ex NY Times reporter found dead in her Sosua apartment.

I did write that as well. Not sure if you mis read what I posted about Paul...

Thanks I'd missed that.

There was a lot of bs and false information being passed around town and wanted to ensure it was corrected here.

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ROVER View Post

It is extremely sad when somebody believes that taking their life is the solution as opposed to continue living.

May God have mercy on her soul and may she find the peace she sought.

R.I.P. Sarah Kershaw
    she committed a mercy killing on her self which is legal in most modern thinking countries and I personally have no problem with any one taking there own life as I will be doing that myself if I ever get a terminal illness and or can not take care of myself............ no fucking old age home for me

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/27/bu...=44946860&_r=2

Officials are awaiting the results of toxicology tests before determining the cause of death, but Ms. Kershaw told friends that she planned to end her life because she suffered from a debilitating illness, Mr. Bonilla said. Contrary to an initial report released by the Dominican National Police, Ms. Kershaw was not strangled, he said.

Her husband, William Paul Norton, was held for questioning but was released without charges.

27. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    she committed a mercy killing on her self which is legal in most modern thinking countries and I personally have no problem with any one taking there own life as I will be doing that myself if I ever get a terminal illness and or can not take care of myself............ no fucking old age home for me

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/27/bu...=44946860&_r=2

Officials are awaiting the results of toxicology tests before determining the cause of death, but Ms. Kershaw told friends that she planned to end her life because she suffered from a debilitating illness, Mr. Bonilla said. Contrary to an initial report released by the Dominican National Police, Ms. Kershaw was not strangled, he said.

Her husband, William Paul Norton, was held for questioning but was released without charges.
    When she was found, she was laying on the bed with her head propped up on a pillow and a plastic bag over her head and tied around the neck. She had her hands crossed on her chest.

Pretty much how I would do it too.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

29. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    When she was found, she was laying on the bed with her head propped up on a pillow and a plastic bag over her head and tied around the neck. She had her hands crossed on her chest.

Pretty much how I would do it too.

I would wrap my viper around a cement barrier or a tree on a deserted highway ay warp speed when the roads were dry and free of traffic..............

and my system would be free of rye so my kids could claim the insurance

31. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thread Information