Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 01/2018 - Howday Y'all

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

Re: 01/2018 - Howday Y'all

Quote Originally Posted by williedave View Post
    I am traveling solo and would be flying into POP, so it would either be staying in Sousa or getting a room at Blackbeards. I kinda like Blackbeards as it seems very similar to how the Sportman's Lodge is setup in Costa Rica and I have enjoyed my stays at that hotel.
    I enjoyed Blackbeards, and my stays there (years ago I admit) ... but it is rather isolated, in a gated community (Costambar), a few km from Puerto Plata and a pretty long ride from Sosua. Good for a few days, but by then you might be looking for some new faces and some new action.
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,182 Times in 3,147 Posts

I am traveling solo and would be flying into POP, so it would either be staying in Sousa or getting a room at Blackbeards. I kinda like Blackbeards as it seems very similar to how the Sportman's Lodge is setup in Costa Rica and I have enjoyed my stays at that hotel.
    I made one trip to Costa Rica in 2005.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atlantic City Jimmy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 76,190 Times in 8,046 Posts

You are definitely going to the right area. Flying into POP is a breeze and you will only be 10-15 minutes from both Sousa and BB.

I would suggest BB for a couple days and then find a hotel in Sousa. Beach is awesome and many great restaurants.
    If she is alive, she will fuck.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    You are definitely going to the right area. Flying into POP is a breeze and you will only be 10-15 minutes from both Sousa and BB.

I would suggest BB for a couple days and then find a hotel in Sousa. Beach is awesome and many great restaurants.
    Its the beginning of a brand new lifestyle

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atlantic City Jimmy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 1,078 Posts

Sosua is small enough that it does not take long to get the geography down..... Dominican scams, that will take longer...

April is a good time to go, can be rainy though sometimes. Easter is noisy as hell, but busy as well.

Plenty of people here to answer any of your questions, don't be afraid to ask about anything your research brings up.

I am always down to meeting others for a beer and swapping of stories. I appreciate the offer to help show me around. I am learning a bunch from the forums and am looking into subscribing. I haven't booked my trip yet, but once I do I will reach out to you so we can meet up.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to distantvoyeur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,284 Times in 14,580 Posts

There is really no bad time to be in Sosua

After mid April it becomes less busy and Hurricane season can be interesting and put a monkey wrench in the plans

Some people like going for superbowl but I have always stayed away during that weekend.

I agree with others in that you probably will become bored with Blackbeards after a few days but it is not a bad place to start.

But you sound like you have some experience so going straight to Sosua should not be a problem for you
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    There is really no bad time to be in Sosua

After mid April it becomes less busy and Hurricane season can be interesting and put a monkey wrench in the plans

Some people like going for superbowl but I have always stayed away during that weekend.

I agree with others in that you probably will become bored with Blackbeards after a few days but it is not a bad place to start.

But you sound like you have some experience so going straight to Sosua should not be a problem for you

I been there every month from 1999-2006. Never a dull moment.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atlantic City Jimmy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,284 Times in 14,580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic City Jimmy View Post
    I been there every month from 1999-2006. Never a dull moment.
    Will you ever go back to Sosua or is Boca your go to place now if you return to the DR

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 290 Posts

My stomping ground was in Nuevo Laredo. You could sit in a club drink some cheap beer and have fun in there for about $60. But my favorite was the door girls where they you could walk down the street and see all different girls available. Those door girls were $20-40 depending on looks. Right outside of the club there was an awesome street taco cart that sold tacos and coca-cola for $1 each, so we would always fill up on tacos before getting a cab across the border. I wish the drug wars weren't so crazy or I would have spent way more time down there as it was an easy weekend trip to get down there.
    Nuevo Laredo? Wasn't this the place were the cartel are beheading people left and right?

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Al Nyc For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyc View Post
    Nuevo Laredo? Wasn't this the place were the cartel are beheading people left and right?
    Before that, it was a playground with no crime.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Atlantic City Jimmy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    Will you ever go back to Sosua or is Boca your go to place now if you return to the DR
    I will be back to Boca a few more times.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atlantic City Jimmy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

5 hit wonder!!

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

Thanks

New member just saying hi as well

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glaiden For This Useful Post: