Thread: Rules to stay Safe in the DR

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

Laughing Rules to stay Safe in the DR

Okay to recap, you are safe in the DR if;

• You don't drink mini bar whiskeys
    • You don't go for late night strolls down dark corridors
    • You don't have high blood pressure
    • You DON'T FUCK with a drug lord's wife!!!!

Just stick to the rules and party on!

PS. To be updated as more bodies appear...
    Try our new ISOC Features!
    • Create a Countdown Timer for your upcoming trip or a special date here.
    • Print out one of our Money Cheat Sheets so you know much shit costs! here
    • Create Albums for your Pictures here.
    • Join Social Groups to view other's Albums here.
    • Browse our concise & informative Wiki here.
    • Learn Spanish, Check Exchange Rates, or The Weather.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Don Tomas For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,401 Times in 78,292 Posts

Re: Rules to stay Safe in the DR

Quote Originally Posted by Don Tomas View Post
    Okay to recap, you are safe in the DR if;

• You don't drink mini bar whiskeys
    • You don't go for late night strolls down dark corridors
    • You don't have high blood pressure
    • You DON'T FUCK with a drug lord's wife!!!!

Just stick to the rules and party on!

PS. To be updated as more bodies appear...

That should be number 1.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

- Don't let people/chicas you don't know put their hands on you in the street.
    - Just say 'no thanks' and walk away from anyone offering drugs in the street.

Should be common sense, but guys still get caught out there doing these things.
    Me gusta mujeres mas oscuro que yo.

7. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 114,003 Times in 10,353 Posts

How about don't go racing to the airport drunk in a rental car late at night
    Vida es buena....

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Irie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Irie View Post
    How about don't go racing to the airport drunk in a rental car late at night

In every country.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

1. Never say Hi back to a Dominican thats shouts out in the street; Hello my Fran! Never done that, and never will...

2. Never drive a car at night between Sosua and Po Plata... Because you may hit and kill a cow on the road, or a moto concho with no lights working. I've done both.

3. Never get caught taking a non P2P women who you don't know is married to a Dominicano to a cabana..... I've done that and somehow survived.

4. Never tell a Dominican who owes you money, if he doesn't pay now than you are taking him to court..... I've done that and ended up with a hugh medical bill.

5. Never be seen anywhere with a wad of $$$ the size of a toilet paper roll. 1/2 of it will be gone paying padded drink tabs, the other 1/2 will be taken at gun point.
    Never done that, and never will, but seen it several times with others in the DR
    “I don’t know the question, but sex is definitely the answer.”

Thanks
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 290 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steviewonder View Post
    1. Never say Hi back to a Dominican thats shouts out in the street; Hello my Fran! Never done that, and never will...

2. Never drive a car at night between Sosua and Po Plata... Because you may hit and kill a cow on the road, or a moto concho with no lights working. I've done both.

3. Never get caught taking a non P2P women who you don't know is married to a Dominicano to a cabana..... I've done that and somehow survived.

4. Never tell a Dominican who owes you money, if he doesn't pay now than you are taking him to court..... I've done that and ended up with a hugh medical bill.

5. Never be seen anywhere with a wad of $$$ the size of a toilet paper roll. 1/2 of it will be gone paying padded drink tabs, the other 1/2 will be taken at gun point.
    Never done that, and never will, but seen it several times with others in the DR

Please give us us more details to #2,3 and #4.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Al Nyc For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyc View Post
    Please give us us more details to #2,3 and #4.

Number 4 is interesting.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Never met you but maybe DR isn't for you?

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Here lately it seems like the best way to ensure safety while visiting the D.R. is to NOT be an American staying an AI resort.

Fuck this. I'll take my chances in the barrio...
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    Here lately it seems like the best way to ensure safety while visiting the D.R. is to NOT be an American staying an AI resort.

Fuck this. I'll take my chances in the barrio...

A nutjob would be noticed in the Barrio or smaller hotels.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    A nutjob would be noticed in the Barrio or smaller hotels.
    So your saying I shouldn't go there??

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

So your saying I shouldn't go there??

An American killing other Americans would not bring anyone else in on this. He can run free around the country.

Why can't this happen?

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

An American killing other Americans would not bring anyone else in on this. He can run free around the country.

Why can't this happen?
    You think it's an American behind these deaths?

I disagree.

This is not the work of a "nut job". It's too calculated for large scale effect.

The Dominican Republic has been taking a steadily growing share of American tourism in the region to the point that it is jeopardizing billions in investment at the more traditional destinations. They did it by being the cheapest all-around destination and luring those who can afford a vacation to go into debt for one.

Think about it. The 1st word that pops into my head when someone says Punta Cana is "Cheap". The D.R. has become the Walmart of Caribbean vacations. Why go to all the trouble to attract thousands of people with $5K to spend on a week vacation when you can attract millions with $1K to spend?

I'm just saying....the Divi investors are hating this shit...

28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You think it's an American behind these deaths?

I disagree.

This is not the work of a "nut job". It's too calculated for large scale effect.

The Dominican Republic has been taking a steadily growing share of American tourism in the region to the point that it is jeopardizing billions in investment at the more traditional destinations. They did it by being the cheapest all-around destination and luring those who can afford a vacation to go into debt for one.

Think about it. The 1st word that pops into my head when someone says Punta Cana is "Cheap". The D.R. has become the Walmart of Caribbean vacations. Why go to all the trouble to attract thousands of people with $5K to spend on a week vacation when you can attract millions with $1K to spend?

I'm just saying....the Divi investors are hating this shit...

Lets see where it goes.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

Here's the latest theory on the alcohol poisoning. The competitor to the supplier to the AI's wants to take over. They secretly sent some of their employees to work at said AI's. While there, they're to poison the mini-bar. When people die/get sick, they're hoping that the current supplier loses it's reputation so they can swoop in. Sounds believable.

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gdogg View Post
    Here's the latest theory on the alcohol poisoning. The competitor to the supplier to the AI's wants to take over. They secretly sent some of their employees to work at said AI's. While there, they're to poison the mini-bar. When people die/get sick, they're hoping that the current supplier loses it's reputation so they can swoop in. Sounds believable.

But you end up a supplier to place no one goes to

Sounds like being elected school president in summer school

34. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

Never met you but maybe DR isn't for you?
    Actually for almost 11 years I had lived in the North Coast of the DR. It was my decision based on several matters non of it to do with the DR to leave. The last 3 yrs I have had 6 to 8 nice return trips, finally selling my house and now deciding its a good time to explore other destinations.

Al NYc post...I'll try to answer

As far as # 2, #3, and #4 on my DR tips for staying safe in my previous post, this is what happened.

#2. Never drive a car at night between Sosua and Po Plata... Because you may hit and kill a cow on the road, or a motoconcho with no lights working. I've done both.

A. About 13 yrs ago I traveled a lot between Sosua- P. Plata to visit my GF at night. Heading to P.Plata just b 4 the Miltary Base a farmer had several cows in those fields. One was on the main highway which not only I couldn't see, but the car from the other direction also said he couldn't see being hit. Totaled my car, didnt have to pay off the farmer because the law states at night it is the owner of the animals fault, end of story, end of car, seat belts and bags worked great!
    B. Accident and death of the motoconcho. The most tragic time while living in the DR or anywhere for that matter. Just after leaving P. Plata at night, I hit a moto concho that was not riding in the moto lane, but center of the car lane with no rear lights where you past Playa Dorado heading up Star Hill climb. All I will say is that I took him to hospital ASAP, he died the following day in Bournagal, and between my contacts, police, an agreement of payment was made to the family. This is the worst experience in my life that a man lost his life which I was directly involved with, and that his family will never see or speak to him again. I can't write anymore about this with the pain I always have with me, however I know not as much pain as his family feels each day though.

#3. Never get caught taking a non P2P women who you don't know is married to a Dominicano to a cabana..... I've done that and somehow survived.

Pretty simple, picked up a local who was waiting for a publico, offered her a ride to P. Plata where she was attending university classes. We spoke about many things and when I offered to give her a ride back to house she agreed. We met after her classes and and had a few Presidentes first at a bar before heading back. As we were leaving and agreed to go to a cabana just outside of P. Plata a male approaches the both of us with this crazy look on his face. He ( I find out its her primo) doesn't speak english, but what I could understand someone in the bar contacted him knowing she was family. She then tells me all, and I tell the guy I know nothing about her having a husband, he grabs her and off they go, I live for another day.

#4. Never tell a Dominican who owes you money, if he doesn't pay now than you are taking him to court..... I've done that and ended up with a hugh medical bill.

Crazy as it sounds for a gringo, I lent an amount to a Dominican to pay off his property that was paying a crazy interest rate and was going to lose his house for non payment. I knew him for 5 years as a hard worker who had many gringo customers,his own business, and was a goid family man. So I had my lawyers draw up the repayment plans at a much lower but acceptable rate. First 5 months, all payments made. Christmas comes and no direct payment in Jan. I'm off island until March or April and still no payment in the following months. I contact him several times from oversees and the story keeps changing. Fast forward my return and meeting him at another customers house and confront him. He goes absolutely crazy like looking for an object to hit me as he kept saying I was embarrassing him in front of his customer who I knew very well. I leave after telling him I'm going to my lawyer to start sueing him. I should not have told him what I was doing, he contacts someone and just as I am getting out of the car, bam across the back of shoulder and head I am hit with a solid 2 by 4 or something like that ( no witnesses
    ) . I am taken to CMC in Cabarete and with a cuccussion, fracture shoulder I am in the hospital for 4 day. As I just returned to the DR my insurance payment was never tranfered online as I made it oversees at the end of Dec, health insurance was cancelled, time for CC and Banca Santa Cruz. Several weeks later my laywer is talking with the police, no witnesses, nothing canbe done. After several more months I finially start getting partial payment as my lawyer is involved in dealing with this guy 100 %. In the end I know I will lose a large portion of the orginal potential value of the loan when you way out the lawyer, and medical bill, but $$ I can replace in time.

Even with just these stated 5 rules, my time was spent very safe concidering the many locals I knew, as well as I never dressed like a tourist or drank much before driving. I did stat taking it for granted that between those two place on the road, there was no light poles, others driving with high beams, pot hole hell, and lets not remind some gringo who always gets car jacked.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 290 Posts

Actually for almost 11 years I had lived in the North Coast of the DR. It was my decision based on several matters non of it to do with the DR to leave. The last 3 yrs I have had 6 to 8 nice return trips, finally selling my house and now deciding its a good time to explore other destinations.

Al NYc post...I'll try to answer

As far as # 2, #3, and #4 on my DR tips for staying safe in my previous post, this is what happened.

#2. Never drive a car at night between Sosua and Po Plata... Because you may hit and kill a cow on the road, or a motoconcho with no lights working. I've done both.

A. About 13 yrs ago I traveled a lot between Sosua- P. Plata to visit my GF at night. Heading to P.Plata just b 4 the Miltary Base a farmer had several cows in those fields. One was on the main highway which not only I couldn't see, but the car from the other direction also said he couldn't see being hit. Totaled my car, didnt have to pay off the farmer because the law states at night it is the owner of the animals fault, end of story, end of car, seat belts and bags worked great!
    B. Accident and death of the motoconcho. The most tragic time while living in the DR or anywhere for that matter. Just after leaving P. Plata at night, I hit a moto concho that was not riding in the moto lane, but center of the car lane with no rear lights where you past Playa Dorado heading up Star Hill climb. All I will say is that I took him to hospital ASAP, he died the following day in Bournagal, and between my contacts, police, an agreement of payment was made to the family. This is the worst experience in my life that a man lost his life which I was directly involved with, and that his family will never see or speak to him again. I can't write anymore about this with the pain I always have with me, however I know not as much pain as his family feels each day though.

#3. Never get caught taking a non P2P women who you don't know is married to a Dominicano to a cabana..... I've done that and somehow survived.

Pretty simple, picked up a local who was waiting for a publico, offered her a ride to P. Plata where she was attending university classes. We spoke about many things and when I offered to give her a ride back to house she agreed. We met after her classes and and had a few Presidentes first at a bar before heading back. As we were leaving and agreed to go to a cabana just outside of P. Plata a male approaches the both of us with this crazy look on his face. He ( I find out its her primo) doesn't speak english, but what I could understand someone in the bar contacted him knowing she was family. She then tells me all, and I tell the guy I know nothing about her having a husband, he grabs her and off they go, I live for another day.

#4. Never tell a Dominican who owes you money, if he doesn't pay now than you are taking him to court..... I've done that and ended up with a hugh medical bill.

Crazy as it sounds for a gringo, I lent an amount to a Dominican to pay off his property that was paying a crazy interest rate and was going to lose his house for non payment. I knew him for 5 years as a hard worker who had many gringo customers,his own business, and was a goid family man. So I had my lawyers draw up the repayment plans at a much lower but acceptable rate. First 5 months, all payments made. Christmas comes and no direct payment in Jan. I'm off island until March or April and still no payment in the following months. I contact him several times from oversees and the story keeps changing. Fast forward my return and meeting him at another customers house and confront him. He goes absolutely crazy like looking for an object to hit me as he kept saying I was embarrassing him in front of his customer who I knew very well. I leave after telling him I'm going to my lawyer to start sueing him. I should not have told him what I was doing, he contacts someone and just as I am getting out of the car, bam across the back of shoulder and head I am hit with a solid 2 by 4 or something like that ( no witnesses
    ) . I am taken to CMC in Cabarete and with a cuccussion, fracture shoulder I am in the hospital for 4 day. As I just returned to the DR my insurance payment was never tranfered online as I made it oversees at the end of Dec, health insurance was cancelled, time for CC and Banca Santa Cruz. Several weeks later my laywer is talking with the police, no witnesses, nothing canbe done. After several more months I finially start getting partial payment as my lawyer is involved in dealing with this guy 100 %. In the end I know I will lose a large portion of the orginal potential value of the loan when you way out the lawyer, and medical bill, but $$ I can replace in time.

Even with just these stated 5 rules, my time was spent very safe concidering the many locals I knew, as well as I never dressed like a tourist or drank much before driving. I did stat taking it for granted that between those two place on the road, there was no light poles, others driving with high beams, pot hole hell, and lets not remind some gringo who always gets car jacked.
    Wow!! You’ve lived through several potential life changing incidents. You’re experiences should be a warning to every tourists and expats in DR.

37. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Al Nyc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevy View Post
    But you end up a supplier to place no one goes to

Sounds like being elected school president in summer school
    That's too much forward thinking, kevyboy. It sounds like you're talking about consequences.

39. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information