Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 233031323334 LastLast

Thread: 07/2019 - Current situation in Sosua

Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 303 Posts

Re: 07/2019 - Current situation in Sosua

Quote Originally Posted by Si_Poppi View Post
    The timing is fine if they don`t get evicted and starve.

You're talking about the Dominican restaurants I assume? Many gringo owned restaurants close for a 2-3 months during low season so one extra month shouldn't kill them. I'm sure glad that I'm currently not in that business.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sopranostingray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 1,165 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sopranostingray View Post
    You're talking about the Dominican restaurants I assume? Many gringo owned restaurants close for a 2-3 months during low season so one extra month shouldn't kill them. I'm sure glad that I'm currently not in that business.
    I am talking about the people in general.
    A lot of rents will not be paid again today, and again on June 1, …….

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Si_Poppi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

Many gringo restaurants seem to have closed only a week or 2 during slow season. Places such as Jolly Rogers (personally never ate there), Matteo's and a few others survice off ex-pats, tourists to a lesser degree.
    Me gusta mujeres mas oscuro que yo.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by el toro View Post
    Many gringo restaurants seem to have closed only a week or 2 during slow season. Places such as Jolly Rogers (personally never ate there), Matteo's and a few others survice off ex-pats, tourists to a lesser degree.
    June until November you break even or lose money. Then December hits and it gets better only to have to pay double wages to your employees for their xmas bonus. So being closed is beneficial in saving money, but you risk losing your employees and clientele. If businesses rely on locals expats to support their business, they are mistaken. Local expats are super cheap and go where the food is the lease expensive. Most won't even go close to pedro clisante anymore. Regardless, only a few are open for take out at this point anyway. Margot's, Plan B, Fusion, Nelson's (I'm not positive). Not much else.
    Last edited by sopranostingray; 05-01-2020 at 05:08 PM.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sopranostingray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

The timing is fine if they don`t get evicted and starve.
    I am talking about the people in general.
    A lot of rents will not be paid again today, and again on June 1, …….
    I don't doubt the veracity of what you are saying. The entire world economy is upside down from the "normal".

Just for some balance, twice this week I have driven from Sabaneta to La Union. A distance of just under 30kms along Rte 5.

Both days I would estimate about 60 - 70% of the businesses along the way were open in some form or another.

The majority of which should not be so according to the DR govt.

In the barrios I entered, Canta La Rana, Callejon de la Loma, La Cienaga, Sosua Abajo, Maranatha and La Union, near as dammit everything was open.

Business as usual apart from the gringo centric tourist areas of course.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillie View Post
    I don't doubt the veracity of what you are saying. The entire world economy is upside down from the "normal".

Just for some balance, twice this week I have driven from Sabaneta to La Union. A distance of just under 30kms along Rte 5.

Both days I would estimate about 60 - 70% of the businesses along the way were open in some form or another.

In the barrios I entered, Canta La Rana, Callejon de la Loma, La Cienaga, Sosua Abajo, Maranatha and La Union, near as dammit everything was open.

People are not going to just sit at home and wait for government support to show up.

What is the government there doing for the people?
    I would imagine it is not much, and irregular.

A lot of people are more concerned about eating than they are about social distancing.

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Si_Poppi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

June until November you break even or lose money. Then December hits and it gets better only to have to pay double wages to your employees for their xmas bonus. So being closed is beneficial in saving money, but you risk losing your employees and clientele. If businesses rely on locals expats to support their business, they are mistaken. Local expats are super cheap and go where the food is the lease expensive. Most won't even go close to pedro clisante anymore. Regardless, only a few are open for take out at this point anyway. Margot's, Plan B, Fusion, Nelson's (I'm not positive). Not much else.
    Yeah I remember Irie closing a bunch of weeks....Guess he was losing money.....tough business....

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I was here all of July through mid-August last year and saw a few places on the beach closed most or all of that time, but also saw the majority of gringo owned places open with the exception of a week or two.

Anwya, perhaps we can just say that 2020 is a wrap for the most part and should be pleasantly surprised at any signs of somewhat normalcy the rest of this year.

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,253 Times in 7,381 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillie View Post

Well......it appears SOMEBODY was out and about doing some serious hound sniffing!

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Yeah I remember Irie closing a bunch of weeks....Guess he was losing money.....tough business....
    Yes, he closed for nearly 3 months in 2018. He was planning on doing the same last summer. I miss my morning coffee and talks with him.

19. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to sopranostingray For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Here are the suggested 5 stages to reopening once the state of emergency is lifted. The dates on these documents were created prior to the new state of emergency being set, so 17 days should be added to each date. Although not approved, this is basically the way it's going to happen. The country will not be reopening all at once as some people may think. I had originally said November for bars and restaurants to reopen, but it's actually October at this point.
    Minister of Economy Juan Ariel Jiménez Núñez clarified on Monday, 4 May 2020 that while there have been talks, there is no date for the reopening of businesses that were ordered to shut down during the present health crisis.
    Jiménez was interviewed on Enfoque Matinal, of CDN channel 37. He said the phase-out plan to reopen the economy that has been circulating on social media is only one of many internal working documents.
    “We have been analyzing different scenarios. And that which circulated was a document with proposals that are on the table. As of today, there is no day to open businesses again,” said the Minister. He recalled that there has not been a total lockdown as farming, supermarkets, industries, mines, and the health sector have never discontinued their operations.
    Public Health Minister, Dr. Rafael Sánchez Cárdenas has repeatedly stated in his press conference briefings that random population testing needs to be completed for the authorities to determine the real spread of the disease and its evolution. At that point, the Ministry says it will have a better understanding of the actual phase the disease is at in the country. This would enable planners to determine the dates for the gradual reopening of closed sectors of the economy.

21. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Si_Poppi For This Useful Post:

Thanks

SUNDAY STREET TOUR OF SOSUA TODAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mQdA3Xjw00&t=28s

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,284 Times in 14,580 Posts

From Willie press conference on Monday June 29

https://www.facebook.com/Gestorprensa/

Wilfredo Olivences announces important works for Sosua.
    | June 29, 2020
    By: Juan José González

Sosua.- Mayor Wilfredo Olivences announced the execution of a broad program of works, sidewalk construction and contents,
    among others that will be a great tourist attraction in Sosua.

The jobs he contemplates, Mayor Wilfredo Olivences, are. Works that will be built as sidewalks and containers, rainwater filters, trail reconstruction, badenes in the El Batey sector, street signage and bridge maintenance.
    As well as the long-awaited Maranatha channel, murals with the participation of local artists in the walls and spaces, the tourist and photographic parador, among others.
    He stressed that in just two months without borrowing he starts important works to transform that municipality, but that in the future others will be built with greater impact for the inhabitants.
    ′′ Sosua will be a people where you will be proud to be born in this town, where everyone and all countries will take Sosua as a model people, a flagship people, as a people that will mark the history of Tourism. There will be a before and after, because now things will change, now the works will be done, the investments will be made ", Olivences guaranteed.
    The technical details of the works were presented by the director of Urban Planning, architect Luis Manuel Álvarez.
    Mayor Olivences was accompanied by councillors, departmental officials of the cabildo and entrepreneurs of the municipality.
    Mayor who works town who progresses!
    Department Public Relations Sosúa City Council Municipal.

The outfit is something to talk about

Go Willie

MSGA

Making Sosua Great Again

I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

25. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 290 Posts

So,is he going to allow the clubs and bars like Classico and others to open and operate normally like in the past or will he continue with the proposed change followed by his predecessor?

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Al Nyc For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Hey guys, if you bring a box of masks, lock them up in your safes.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    Hey guys, if you bring a box of masks, lock them up in your safes.
    Masks are 50 pesos at the stores here and free at the clinics. No shortage of masks or gloves.

31. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sopranostingray For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyc View Post
    So,is he going to allow the clubs and bars like Classico and others to open and operate normally like in the past or will he continue with the proposed change followed by his predecessor?
    Time will tell--guess by end of summer. As I'm typing I have a sad (depending on how you look at it) image of not so attractive gringo couples filling the dance floor to techno music in Clasicos and a mostly mainstream crowd in Merengue with a random chica laying low in a corner or 2. Maybe that's what Caberette is like.

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Masks are 50 pesos at the stores here and free at the clinics. No shortage of masks or gloves.

They like to take anything not nailed down.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

ezsmile is offline Ten Year Member & Paid subscriber of I.S.O.C. & member of the Stash.
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,350 Times in 2,668 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by el toro View Post
    Time will tell--guess by end of summer. As I'm typing I have a sad (depending on how you look at it) image of not so attractive gringo couples filling the dance floor to techno music in Clasicos and a mostly mainstream crowd in Merengue with a random chica laying low in a corner or 2. Maybe that's what Caberette is like.
    lol, Clasicos used to have a mixed crowd, with groups of tourists partying it up while chicas were also plying their trade. Ok, very few groups of tourists.....but not in the extreme you are imagining! That would give one a strange feeling for sure.

37. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ezsmile For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,379 Times in 7,663 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ezsmile View Post
    lol, Clasicos used to have a mixed crowd, with groups of tourists partying it up while chicas were also plying their trade. Ok, very few groups of tourists.....but not in the extreme you are imagining! That would give one a strange feeling for sure.
    Toro’s description isn’t far off from how Clásicos looked/felt when they first opened. The crowd was primarily locals and tourists with only a few obvious hoes. If you were lucky maybe you had a shot a 20% of the local contingent if she was down to fuck that night. Most guys countered by having a novia or favorita with them. Believe it or not the place was borderline elegant. Way more fun than it is now. Back then girls were looking much more for potential novios/husbands than turning a trick so dress code and behavior was fairly conservative.

39. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to The Sage For This Useful Post:

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 233031323334 LastLast

Thread Information