Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 81516171819202128 ... LastLast

Thread: 07/2019 - Current situation in Sosua

Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 303 Posts

Re: 07/2019 - Current situation in Sosua

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    I'm only occasional visitor and trust you more, but what's the logic behind it? Why it will be difficult for businesses? (as it seems more difficult than before?) Why would they come each weekend? Couldn't they come even without a new highway? (What is an extra hour in traffic for rich folks anyway?) Why would the prices go up? So, Santiago is not a family destination enough?

Beyond the immediate ocean line there is a shitload of land available for years. Also, the highway to Samana has been built and the whole highway along the North Coast has been improved and will be improved, and it is a positive development, but I don't see it alone to be a catalyst for prices to jump up, and by prices I mean land - the cost of building now for condos all in land, development and all materials along the shore is about 400 to 500 dollars per square meter.

Great questions and I'll try to answer the best as I can. My answers don't come from tourists, but from the well-off Dominicans, investors and their thoughts on what is going on.

1. Sosua is really fucked up right now, personal I find it more fucked up than ever. The mayor wants the businesses to finance the closing of Pedro Clisante. That is really messed up. She created this situation and should have had a solution ready. We all knew that removing the clubs from that district would change the dynamics. She should have had a plan and the funds ready. 7 years ago we had the street closed and for the majority it worked fine, but after 9 months it was reopened because of 30 signatures of unhappy business owners. Those business owners are still there and do not what the street closed. So as a restaurant or bar owner would I to invest in something that is bound to fail again?

2. I believe that the next 5 years will be an extremely difficult time for Sosua business owners, especially on the west side of Pedro Clisante. Being in limbo is the worse. Nobody is sure what is going on. With the main highway being redone to Cabarete starting in January, the new port in Puerto Plata, the new highway from Santiago and the new constructions going on, the town is a mess and nothing is in a stage of completion. The sidewalks and the lighting are two small examples. The bad press is keeping away the regular tourists and the WW don't seem as interested in coming because of the recent changes. The transition is happening, but not near completion to have either type of influx of tourists.

3. The richest percentage of Dominicans live in Santiago and many have holiday homes in Sosua. The Baldom family for example have a home on the ocean in Playa Chiquita and one in the hills of Los Cerros. They only come on long weekends, because it take 2 -2.5 hours from Santiago because of the weekend traffic. The new highway will cut through Montellano and will only take 45 minutes to get from airport to airport. This means they can come on weekends and stay until Monday morning and head straight to work. This will be the biggest benefit to Sosua, not the expat tourists. These people don't hang out on Pedro Clisante. If you want to see them, go to Nelson's, Bologna, Maria's, Ocean Village or Margots on the weekend. Those restaurants are packed with rich Dominicans. They want to stay in posh condos and have the money to buy them. The new Marriot is spending 4 million dollars on their new beach / break wall alone. They are also building a helicopter pad.

4. Prices will go up because of supply and demand. It will all fall into place. There are big things happening that the regular public isn't aware of. Most people have no idea about the new highway being built, or the new port in Puerto Plata which is set to open next January.

For now Sosua is a little shit town in my opinion. The transition was done without thought. I find the traffic horrendous compared to 5 years ago and there in not any more order today than there was yesterday. Also, don't forget the municipal election in February, that can also complicate things further.

Maybe I'm wrong about all of this. Maybe all the rich Dominicans that influence the construction and decisions are wrong. Maybe the investors are wrong. With all that is happening, change is here and the transition is going through....that is clear.

Thanks
    Thanked 22,235 Times in 2,615 Posts

The “L” shaped retail plaza wrapping around the back of the High Caribe disco is being worked on vigorously. The concrete brick walls are about completed and just need paneta/cement skin and paint.

3. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

I will be the last to fight the tape. Whatever will be, will be. It really doesn't matter what I wish or whatever is convenient, or the perception is about.

For now the hoes are entertained on Saturdays all paid by the Ministry of Tourism.

Personally I think the real value is in Samana in the long run, and the values there will go up before anything pop up in Sosua.

Also, the building of the highway from Santiago is not correlated at all with closures of the bars on PC.

But it may bring lovely Santiageras to the town! Isn't it wonderful?

There is also a known aspect to the internal Dominican politics, that is Santo Domingo will never allow Santiago to take a lead in business etc.

The real estate values and rents in the North Coast went up in 2011 all financed by lower interest rates, home lines of credit, aging population (boomers) which by the way just peaked, and slowly rising stock market in the US. This is a dominant factor, and I wish it continues and benefits everyone.
    ‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Well, if relocated City Lights at HC does not allow unaccompanied Haitians to enter, what has been accomplished?

Not a place for me for sure.

How many bars that were closed reopened?

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

Well, if relocated City Lights at HC does not allow unaccompanied Haitians to enter, what has been accomplished?

Not a place for me for sure.

How many bars that were closed reopened?
    HC will be the coules spot I guess. lol.

Plenty of Haitians are doing their thing at Anvhee--enought to where Dominciancs are feeling they're taking away from their hustle--what else is new though. Point is, Ahnvee is not everyone's favorite spot, but it's where you will find the most eye candy and talent of all the chicas. On some weekends like this past, there was a decent amount of Haitianas at the snitzel spot by central, but probably because a lot of poplep were out for the music event. We will see if that's the case this weekend.

Other option is get some of the busted chicas from places like Cheers and other small bars like a neighbor of mine pulls......IMHO he does pull some really busted looking ones, but each his own.
    Me gusta mujeres mas oscuro que yo.

9. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Is Ahnvee still busy enough on Monday and Tuesday nights to find decent pussy ?

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pinoydave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoydave View Post
    Is Ahnvee still busy enough on Monday and Tuesday nights to find decent pussy ?
    I went on a Monday 2-3 weeks ago and it depends on your tastes. There were some lookers, but you could tell the talent was not up to weekend standards.

Last night a chica told me she went there and they were not open. Not sure what that was all about.

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I was just reading that Marriot (Ritz Carlton Reserve) just received their building permit for LaBoca in Cabarete from President Medina. The resort is expected to be completed in 2021. Construction will start soon.

15. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jose1234 View Post
    I was just reading that Marriot (Ritz Carlton Reserve) just received their building permit for LaBoca in Cabarete from President Medina. The resort is expected to be completed in 2021. Construction will start soon.
    Is it in La Boca de Yasica past Cabarete?

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Is it in La Boca de Yasica past Cabarete?
    yes.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jose1234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,284 Times in 14,580 Posts

City Lights owner talking about the new entertainment complex

Looks and sounds pretty impressive if he can pull it all off and get the customers to show and of course be allowed to operated by the powers that be.

Looks like alot of progress has been made since the last pics of the area were posted
    I am the pussy licker ​Let's have some fun. Not invisible. Snitches are pathetic little people!
    Disclaimer. This post may not be in response to a post by Greybaby. So Greybaby doesn't need to cry about it. Rover has you pegged to a T

21. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j_d66 View Post
    City Lights owner talking about the new entertainment complex

Looks and sounds pretty impressive if he can pull it all off and get the customers to show and of course be allowed to operated by the powers that be.

Looks like alot of progress has been made since the last pics of the area were posted
    He said he's the owner of the former bar Sosua Life, not City Lights. Or does he mean the new bar is going to be called Sosua Life?

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sopranostingray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 113,284 Times in 14,580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sopranostingray View Post
    He said he's the owner of the former bar Sosua Life, not City Lights. Or does he mean the new bar is going to be called Sosua Life?

I believe he was talking to David who is the owner of City Lights.
    He said Sosua Lights in the video which is really City Lights.
    They actually changed the name from City Lights to Sosua Lights awhile ago but the name change never really caught on because they didn't completely change all the signage in the bar

From what I have been told he is American and has lot's of money to burn.

Sounds like what he is creating is a place with several different bars to cater to all types of customers.

Could be a great idea if it all works and the customers come and more importantly the chicas are allowed to do there thing.

Guess we will see how and if it all works out.

Not sure if he is going to have a place to cater to the AA WW crowd but it would make sense that he would since they typically spend alot with their desires for VIP seating and bottle service.

My guess is he going after the El Flow/Premium crowd, the Classicos crowd as well as the old Rancho Tipico crowd in it's hey day.

If he can make it all happen it could end up being a pretty fun area to hang out in.

Time will tell.

25. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to j_d66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sopranostingray View Post
    Great questions and I'll try to answer the best as I can. My answers don't come from tourists, but from the well-off Dominicans, investors and their thoughts on what is going on.

1. Sosua is really fucked up right now, personal I find it more fucked up than ever. The mayor wants the businesses to finance the closing of Pedro Clisante. That is really messed up. She created this situation and should have had a solution ready. We all knew that removing the clubs from that district would change the dynamics. She should have had a plan and the funds ready. 7 years ago we had the street closed and for the majority it worked fine, but after 9 months it was reopened because of 30 signatures of unhappy business owners. Those business owners are still there and do not what the street closed. So as a restaurant or bar owner would I to invest in something that is bound to fail again?

2. I believe that the next 5 years will be an extremely difficult time for Sosua business owners, especially on the west side of Pedro Clisante. Being in limbo is the worse. Nobody is sure what is going on. With the main highway being redone to Cabarete starting in January, the new port in Puerto Plata, the new highway from Santiago and the new constructions going on, the town is a mess and nothing is in a stage of completion. The sidewalks and the lighting are two small examples. The bad press is keeping away the regular tourists and the WW don't seem as interested in coming because of the recent changes. The transition is happening, but not near completion to have either type of influx of tourists.

3. The richest percentage of Dominicans live in Santiago and many have holiday homes in Sosua. The Baldom family for example have a home on the ocean in Playa Chiquita and one in the hills of Los Cerros. They only come on long weekends, because it take 2 -2.5 hours from Santiago because of the weekend traffic. The new highway will cut through Montellano and will only take 45 minutes to get from airport to airport. This means they can come on weekends and stay until Monday morning and head straight to work. This will be the biggest benefit to Sosua, not the expat tourists. These people don't hang out on Pedro Clisante. If you want to see them, go to Nelson's, Bologna, Maria's, Ocean Village or Margots on the weekend. Those restaurants are packed with rich Dominicans. They want to stay in posh condos and have the money to buy them. The new Marriot is spending 4 million dollars on their new beach / break wall alone. They are also building a helicopter pad.

4. Prices will go up because of supply and demand. It will all fall into place. There are big things happening that the regular public isn't aware of. Most people have no idea about the new highway being built, or the new port in Puerto Plata which is set to open next January.

For now Sosua is a little shit town in my opinion. The transition was done without thought. I find the traffic horrendous compared to 5 years ago and there in not any more order today than there was yesterday. Also, don't forget the municipal election in February, that can also complicate things further.

Maybe I'm wrong about all of this. Maybe all the rich Dominicans that influence the construction and decisions are wrong. Maybe the investors are wrong. With all that is happening, change is here and the transition is going through....that is clear.
    I know this vid was posted already. The Mayor talks about her plan. Whatever that means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqL4DfIWaDA

When the translator says “face” he means to say “image” and when he says “inversion” he means “investment”. She says they don’t want prostitutes on the streets and don’t want those businesses that attract those prostitutes on the main street. They want to clean the image of the city and want to attract families again and don’t want families to watch that “spectacle” (prostitutes) on the streets. They are moving those businesses that attract the prostitutes somewhere else, but said that they don’t want to get rid of those tourists, just don’t want the image of the city to be just about Prostitution.

27. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Maybe we can sum it up or add a poll with respect to recent changes, and my question is only one, and it relates to quantity of girls showing up in town.

Let's say one year ago 100% used to show up regularly.

What the percentage will be now after PC closures? Same? less? more?

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,379 Times in 7,663 Posts

I was there at the end of November. Compared to the same time last year I experienced higher quality and more variety. I think a contributing factor was that the girls are now concentrated in a couple of locations and no longer spread out. The new setup worked for me. I’ll be back next month. I think the post Christmas period will provide a better gauge of the impact of the changes. The question in my mind is will the girls continue to show up after the pressure to make money for navidad has passed.

Maybe we can sum it up or add a poll with respect to recent changes, and my question is only one, and it relates to quantity of girls showing up in town.

Let's say one year ago 100% used to show up regularly.

What the percentage will be now after PC closures? Same? less? more?

31. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to The Sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 290 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
    I was there at the end of November. Compared to the same time last year I experienced higher quality and more variety. I think a contributing factor was that the girls are now concentrated in a couple of locations and no longer spread out. The new setup worked for me. I’ll be back next month. I think the post Christmas period will provide a better gauge of the impact of the changes. The question in my mind is will the girls continue to show up after the pressure to make money for navidad has passed.
    Really. I also was in Sosua from the end of November to early December this year and the same time last year. The quality is definitely down this year compare to the same time last year. Only saw about 2 knockouts in my entire trip and they were taken. The beach seen is also down from last year. The entire night life seen is at Ahnvee. Ahnvee is definitely not like Classico. It lacks that Latin vibe that I love. But nevertheless I was able to enjoy myself by adjusting and not think about how great it was. Making the best of what still around.

33. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Al Nyc For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,379 Times in 7,663 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Al Nyc View Post
    Really. I also was in Sosua from the end of November to early December this year and the same time last year. The quality is definitely down this year compare to the same time last year. Only saw about 2 knockouts in my entire trip and they were taken. The beach seen is also down from last year. The entire night life seen is at Ahnvee. Ahnvee is definitely not like Classico. It lacks that Latin vibe that I love. But nevertheless I was able to enjoy myself by adjusting and not think about how great it was. Making the best of what still around.
    Al, I tend to work in the upper third of the quality spread and I move quickly. There were more than enough girls in that range to meet my needs. As to the music in Skybox, I thought it was a good mix considering the crowd. Thank god it’s not like Clasicos. That place had become disgusting.

35. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to The Sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If someone would ask me here about commercial venues being shut down, you would naturally start with the same simple questions, like 'how owns the property', 'who leases the property', 'can I see the exact leasing agreement', 'what is the zoning requirement', 'what are the bylaws' etc.

For now, I haven't seen anywhere exact information posted about those 11 businesses that were shut down - only rumors.

Even in Dom Rep, if the owner of the property and business owner of the venue are both Dominicans, both profit from the ongoing concern, know the laws, by laws, zoning, have a representation and act swiftly to protect their rights, they can successfully uphold them.

37. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If someone would ask me here about commercial venues being shut down, you would naturally start with the same simple questions, like 'how owns the property', 'who leases the property', 'can I see the exact leasing agreement', 'what is the zoning requirement', 'what are the bylaws' etc.

For now, I haven't seen anywhere exact information posted about those 11 businesses that were shut down - only rumors.

Even in Dom Rep, if the owner of the property and business owner of the venue are both Dominicans, both profit from the ongoing concern, know the laws, by laws, zoning, have a representation and act swiftly to protect their rights, they can successfully uphold them.

Well first off, it is 7 businesses that got closed, not 11. What do you mean rumours? What information are you looking for? Monreal got shut down by mistake and are now reopened. Kings has moved to the old Morua Mai location, City Lights moved to High Caribbean, Clasico moved to the After One location, Bourbon moved to Ahnvee, Bar Central can be entered by the side door in the bakery and Blue Ice is still closed. The locations of the businesses that moved are vacant. So what's the rumour?

39. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sopranostingray For This Useful Post:

Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 81516171819202128 ... LastLast

Thread Information