Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: 07/2019 - Current situation in Sosua

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

Re: 07/2019 - Current situation in Sosua

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydr View Post
    I spent two hours there once. It was 90 minutes too much.
    De gustibus non est disputandum....
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

Winter: Sosua * Summer: Sometimes North, Sometime South
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,829 Times in 2,435 Posts

I spent two hours there once. It was 90 minutes too much.
    It's perfect for certain guys. It's ultra point and click. I have no problems with guys who enjoy this.

I spent a week there on my first trip to the DR. I found it a bit expensive but I did have a good time that week. I first met Frank there one night. I had the jacuzzi room....I enjoyed that.
    Give me a chair on a beach....hand me a beer....have some chicas hanging around....oh happy days!!

C.I.S.O.C.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ram For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 20,452 Times in 1,785 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong but it is to my understanding that a complete closure of bars/clubs happened in the 90s as well. In fact, before all the bars and clubs were on front street, middle of Pedro; were they not further down the street? So is the shit just not shifting back to the East end of Pedro? Is history just repeating itself in Sosua?

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Shogun Warrior For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,364 Times in 78,283 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shogun Warrior View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but it is to my understanding that a complete closure of bars/clubs happened in the 90s as well. In fact, before all the bars and clubs were on front street, middle of Pedro; were they not further down the street? So is the shit just not shifting back to the East end of Pedro? Is history just repeating itself in Sosua?

I got there in 1997 and there were two large discos left. Three others were shut down.

In the hills there were maybe 12 large Hotels shutdown.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    It's perfect for certain guys. It's ultra point and click. I have no problems with guys who enjoy this.

I spent a week there on my first trip to the DR. I found it a bit expensive but I did have a good time that week. I first met Frank there one night. I had the jacuzzi room....I enjoyed that.

What is more point and click than Sosua?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

What is more point and click than Sosua?
    Blackbeards.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ram For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    Blackbeards.

Blackbeards has 30 chicas and Sosua had 500?

There are 24 rooms with 24 guys chasing after them.

We can debate this forever.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Blackbeards has 30 chicas and Sosua had 500?

There are 24 rooms with 24 guys chasing after them.

We can debate this forever.
    Yeah...I never had any trouble finding company at Blackbeards and I did not even need to leave my chair. (remember, I am a lazy bastard that barely has the energy to reposition my ass in a chair.) LOL

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ram For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,379 Times in 7,663 Posts

When I first arrived in 2002 High Caribe was the only disco and Merengue the only large bar. We might go to the beach during the day, but basically we hung around the hotel or the small bars until dinner. After grabbing a bite we either went to HC or to the POP casas. The scene was very subdued and laid back. Almost all the long term guys had novias or we’re open to finding one. Right now in comparison the place is hot garbage, but there’s still a certain charm about it. I’m thinking the recent changes will definitely usher in a better more relaxing and enjoyable Sosua. Shit had just become too hyperkinetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Shogun Warrior View Post

Thanks
    Thanked 2,791 Times in 353 Posts

I took a ride to the far end of Pedro Clisante last night about 1:30 am and it was off the chain,dozens of people in the street,Policia National keeping an eye on things,cars parked everywhere,at least a hundred motos etc..It took me ten minutes to get through the traffic in front of Ahnvee. NY Drink was thumping music and looked packed,High Caribbean was open but did not seem busy,yet,give it time. I have heard two rumors regarding the bar closings but as of now they are just rumors. One is that Kings/Rumbas will be open by Monday,the owners wife is very connected. The other is that a judge has already ruled that the closings were illegal.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
    Right now in comparison the place is hot garbage, but there’s still a certain charm about it. I’m thinking the recent changes will definitely usher in a better more relaxing and enjoyable Sosua. Shit had just become too hyperkinetic.

What is hot garbage?

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,254 Times in 7,381 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quietcorner911 View Post
    I took a ride to the far end of Pedro Clisante last night about 1:30 am and it was off the chain,dozens of people in the street,Policia National keeping an eye on things,cars parked everywhere,at least a hundred motos etc..It took me ten minutes to get through the traffic in front of Ahnvee. NY Drink was thumping music and looked packed,High Caribbean was open but did not seem busy,yet,give it time. I have heard two rumors regarding the bar closings but as of now they are just rumors. One is that Kings/Rumbas will be open by Monday,the owners wife is very connected. The other is that a judge has already ruled that the closings were illegal.
    It would seem to me that on the east end of town, there are many more private residences who would be affected by the shifting nightlife scene coming to there area. It can be one of the attractive aspects of both living there or staying there on a holiday, being that you are well enough removed from the major nightlife scene that you can live in relative privacy and quiet (I know...it's the DR, not a library, but still....) and that aside from those smaller bars in the area, you had to venture down toward the main strip for the heavy action and the noise, neon lights, constant motos going up and down, etc.

Now, all that scene could be at the door step for all those residents living in that neighborhood, thereby changing the face of that area and resulting in a lower quality of life, as who wants to try and sleep when the distant pounding of a speaker is blasting out the heavy base sound of whatever music is being played? I figure many local families would be more negatively affected by the bars relocating than if staying put where they are.

At what has been the area of PC where all the action was, were there not more than just a few second floor apts along that strip where people lived, and maybe who had actual jobs in those businesses located there?

For the sake of all those people who suddenly lost their jobs working in those establishments that were closed down, I hope the rumors of a judge ruling on the illegality of closing up everything will be true and they will be reopened.

As yayow mentioned, there is a consequence of increased crime with desperate people out of work.

I guess we will soon see what the fallout will be.

22. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

It’s a scene that delivers a level of enjoyment, but it consists primarily of folks doing shit that you find objectionable.

What is hot garbage?

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to The Sage For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

It’s a scene that delivers a level of enjoyment, but it consists primarily of folks doing shit that you find objectionable.

We don't like being around that? Do we?

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smooth View Post
    It would seem to me that on the east end of town, there are many more private residences who would be affected by the shifting nightlife scene coming to there area. It can be one of the attractive aspects of both living there or staying there on a holiday, being that you are well enough removed from the major nightlife scene that you can live in relative privacy and quiet (I know...it's the DR, not a library, but still....) and that aside from those smaller bars in the area, you had to venture down toward the main strip for the heavy action and the noise, neon lights, constant motos going up and down, etc.

Now, all that scene could be at the door step for all those residents living in that neighborhood, thereby changing the face of that area and resulting in a lower quality of life, as who wants to try and sleep when the distant pounding of a speaker is blasting out the heavy base sound of whatever music is being played? I figure many local families would be more negatively affected by the bars relocating than if staying put where they are.

At what has been the area of PC where all the action was, were there not more than just a few second floor apts along that strip where people lived, and maybe who had actual jobs in those businesses located there?

For the sake of all those people who suddenly lost their jobs working in those establishments that were closed down, I hope the rumors of a judge ruling on the illegality of closing up everything will be true and they will be reopened.

As yayow mentioned, there is a consequence of increased crime with desperate people out of work.

I guess we will soon see what the fallout will be.
    The residents of the east part of PC freaked out a few years back when Anhvee had their Super Bowl party that lasted until 5am, so it will be interesting to see what happens now. I always felt sorry for the lady who lives in that little house next to Classico.

As far as people losing their jobs, it's actually very little. Perhaps 60 - 80? Not significant when you look at Sosua's population of 50,000. If the East end flies, the new bars will be looking for experienced bartenders, it's just a waiting game now. Don't forget that the employees are entitled to their liquidation.

The judge ruling is nothing but a rumour at the moment.

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

What was as always puzzling to me, how a fiscal can actually sign on something like that? By all standards the closure has to be per each establishment with specific paperwork behind it, which has to be placed at the front doors, right? Also, most of the buildings have their owners and the businesses are leases. If the zoning is commercial then the owners will open something, and a greasy spoon is ok with me as long as girls show up; and I picked many from my dinners at the German kitchen place.
    ‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

29. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,482 Times in 10,191 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sopranostingray View Post
    The residents of the east part of PC freaked out a few years back when Anhvee had their Super Bowl party that lasted until 5am, so it will be interesting to see what happens now. I always felt sorry for the lady who lives in that little house next to Classico.

As far as people losing their jobs, it's actually very little. Perhaps 60 - 80? Not significant when you look at Sosua's population of 50,000. If the East end flies, the new bars will be looking for experienced bartenders, it's just a waiting game now. Don't forget that the employees are entitled to their liquidation.

The judge ruling is nothing but a rumour at the moment.
    You know I luv ya Stingray

But if 60 or 80 of people I know lost their jobs,,,I would feel terrible for them,,,and there children,,,,
    But,,,,,I know what your saying,,,

And glad to hear they are entitled to there liquidation.,,,,

And ,,,if I was smart enough,,,I'd know what that means,,,
    " Expect The Best, Be Prepared For The Worst, Fuck What Others Think, And Do Your Own Thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

31. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to XXX For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I’m also perplexed. I know it’s the Dominican Republic, but how can you roll out as much firepower as they did without first getting court clearance. That action Wednesday night involved CESTUR, PN, and the local military attachment. All that on the signature of a fiscal? I guess will see in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    What was as always puzzling to me, how a fiscal can actually sign on something like that? By all standards the closure has to be per each establishment with specific paperwork behind it, which has to be placed at the front doors, right? Also, most of the buildings have their owners and the businesses are leases. If the zoning is commercial then the owners will open something, and a greasy spoon is ok with me as long as girls show up; and I picked many from my dinners at the German kitchen place.

33. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to The Sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 290 Posts

Well I hope that rumor about the judge ruling that the closing were illegal cause I’m visiting DR the day after Thanksgiving. 4 nights in Santo Domingo then 6 nights in Sosua.

35. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Al Nyc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 20,452 Times in 1,785 Posts

I’m also perplexed. I know it’s the Dominican Republic, but how can you roll out as much firepower as they did without first getting court clearance. That action Wednesday night involved CESTUR, PN, and the local military attachment. All that on the signature of a fiscal? I guess will see in the next few days.

This had the blessing and endorsement from the attorney general in Santo Domingo. Yes there are appeals courts but,...……….by the time they get to court with this, the new district will have been built and fall on deaf ears as the original order will have been executed and completed. Meaning the bars are established in the new district and then the bitch rides off into the sunset having cleaned the streets of Sosua as her most significant last act. .

37. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Shogun Warrior For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread Information