Thread: 09/2022 - Queen Elizabeth -- the end of an era

Thanks
    Thanked 72,237 Times in 11,762 Posts

09/2022 - Queen Elizabeth -- the end of an era

Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth, Great Britain's longest reigning monarch, died this afternoon at Balmoral Castle in Scotland. She was 96.

She acceded to the throne at the death of her father, George VI, in February 1952. She held it for 70 years and 214 days, passing King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand's record three months ago. (He reigned for 70 years and 126 days.)

She is succeeded by her eldest son, King Charles III, whose first statement as King marked the death of his "beloved Mother, Her Majesty The Queen" as a "moment of the greatest sadness" for his family and the world."We mourn profoundly the passing of a cherished Sovereign and a much-loved Mother," Charles said. "I know her loss will be deeply felt throughout the country, the Realms and the Commonwealth, and by countless people around the world ... During this period of mourning and change, my family and I will be comforted and sustained by our knowledge of the respect and deep affection in which The Queen was so widely held."

The Queen is dead -- long live the King!

My condolences to Weyland, and to all the other members of this board who are either British citizens or citizens of the Commonwealth.
    I'm still "Just A Lurker."

The Chinese virus infected the Western world with Chinese-style totalitarian politics. ​- Gladiator

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. – H. L. Mencken

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Westy For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thread Information