Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 08/2007 - Hotel Casa Cayena - 25 Dr Rosen calle

Thanks

Re: Hotel Casa Cayena - 25 Dr Rosen calle

Quote Originally Posted by uncle226 View Post
    HI sicpup71 {Thats was my room } I going back in November The beds are great but I will stay at the new Gardens as a first choice I like a little noise and a naked girl in the pool now and then.
    you really liked the bed? the bed i was in in room 19 was like sleeping on the tile floor!

what's up with that shitty water pressure? is it that place, or the area in general?

I Went To The New Garden In Sosua and Found These Tulips

Thanks
    Thanked 10,220 Times in 1,957 Posts

My bed was great I had no problem with the water presser

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MyTio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

I've stayed there twice with no complaints. The free breakfast is the major selling point. I'd stay there again.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Great Review of this place I am about to book a trip on lastminute.com for 460 aifare and hotel and transfers quick 3 day trip, but its my fucking birthday i deserve it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to phoneman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just out of curiosity: A chica friendly place - located just down the street from the new garden and halfway down the next block past the "Bon" ice cream store or diagonally across the street from the massage joint where the cute girls give $10. massage & $10 bare back blowjobs.

What place are you talking about Hombre?

Thanks

It wasnt my favorite place in the world the bathroom was discusting and they had no hagers to hang up my clothes (maybe that was the reason all your stuff was on the second bed) also the guy tried to overcharge me on the room when i left. I would go with NG in a heart beat over this place

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bigsexx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,539 Times in 278 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexx View Post
    It wasnt my favorite place in the world the bathroom was discusting and they had no hagers to hang up my clothes (maybe that was the reason all your stuff was on the second bed) also the guy tried to overcharge me on the room when i left. I would go with NG in a heart beat over this place
    What room where u in?

Thanks

Numero Vente Cinco i hope your still working on your spanish!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,539 Times in 278 Posts

Numero Vente Cinco i hope your still working on your spanish!!!!
    Ahhhhh, I think u mean veinte cinco...

Hope your still working on ur spanish

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HombreSucio View Post
    Generally kept clean! Lots of terrazzo and dark wood, a star of David on the roof of the atrium in the lobby area (too busy to get its history, but would like to know).

Meet the Jewish settlers of Sosúa (The Jewish Bulletin - F. Swedlove)

We did not expect to find a white, pristine synagogue and a Jewish museum steps from our hotel in the town of Sosúa while vacationing this winter in the Dominican Republic. The Museo Judio Sosúa is set back from the bustling streets and surrounded by a simple black fence adorned by a Jewish star. Glancing around the area, you couldn't help but notice the abandoned buildings, racing motorcycles and the constant noise of the tourist trade. Amid the pandemonium, it was as though the synagogue and the museum were from another world.

In the 1940s, hundreds of Jews, mostly from Germany and Austria, arrived in Sosúa, located on the north shore of the island. The Dominican Republic was the only country that would open its doors to these Jewish refugees. They were greeted with an abandoned, failed banana plantation and miles of uninhabitable jungle. Many of the young men who came to Sosúa knew that this was only another stop in their long voyage to find a new home. Others decided to put down roots, rebuild their lives and look to the future.

At the Evian Conference in 1938, convened to discuss the fate of the Jews in Europe, Gen. Rafael Leonidas Trujillo, the dictator who ruled the Dominican Republic, offered to shelter up to 10,000 Jews. He wanted to improve his image with the United States and possibly whiten the race on the island by only choosing young men to immigrate. An agreement was made between the Dominican Republic and DORSA (the Dominican Settlement Association, which was formed by two Jewish American aid organizations) to permit Jews to come to the island. Only 700 refugees were able to complete all the necessary paperwork to come to Sosúa. By 1947, around 350 Jews remained in the town. These settlers built a community modelled after agricultural settlements in Israel. A cattle industry, and meat and dairy processing plants were developed so they could sell their products. The young men started families, often marrying women from the Dominican Republic. They learned Spanish and grew to be part of this largely Roman Catholic country. Schools, hospitals and the infrastructure needed for the growing community were also built by the settlers.

Joe Benjamin was six years old when he arrived in Sosúa in 1947. As one of the children of the original settlers, he is a spokesperson for the Jewish community. Not only was the Dominican Republic the only country to allow Jews to enter, recounts Benjamin, but there were "difficult conditions" and the young men didn't want to fail. Succeeding meant that "they could bring their families to join them," he said. Benjamin remembers growing up in Sosúa as idyllic. "When I wasn't in school, I could play on the beach and run around everywhere," he said. "There was no anti-Semitism." Services were held every Friday night at the synagogue and the community became very close knit.

This small group of Jewish settlers originally came from largely urban environments. For the majority of the past 60 years living in Sosúa, they were isolated from other communities and had only the most basic roads to lead them to larger centres such as Puerto Plato or Santo Domingo. In 1980, they became connected by the national network of paved roads and an international airport.

Benjamin is not aware of another community in the world that exists with a similar history as Sosúa. Along with a handful of the descendants who live in Sosúa, he wants to ensure that this story is not lost. Although 12 families from the original settlers still live in the town, "as a Jewish community, it is disappearing. It is important to have a reminder of what was once here," said Benjamin.

The circular museum, filled with sun pouring in through skylights shaped like Magen Davids, is a permanent home for their history. The Museo Judio Sosúa was recently renovated for the 60-year anniversary of the Jewish settlement. There are original documents chronicling the Evian Conference and the refugees' journeys to Sosúa. Pictures of the settlers working on the land with basic farm implements, building their homes and raising their families are throughout the museum. Photographs of children born in Sosúa cover an entire wall and many of the original implements and religious items are on display. A beautiful, hand-carved wooden menorah serves as a reminder of how the settlers had to make many of their Jewish celebratory items from the available material. You can hear and see the original settlers tell their stories on videotapes.

Sosúa is typical of many resort areas in the Caribbean. Sweeping beaches, translucent waters and sunny days are constants. But the Jewish presence is unique. Two streets are named for founders of the community, Calle David Stern and Calle Joseph Rosen. The school that the settlers built bears the name of the director of the school, Luis Hess, who still lives in Sosúa and is 95 years old. A small Jewish cemetery is carefully maintained in the town. A small hotel run by Benjamin, the Casa Cayena, is adorned by a Jewish star in the ceiling of the lobby. Benjamin works as the president of Productos Sosúa, a company formed by the original settlers. It is now a shareholding company and the second largest supplier of beef and largest for cheese on the island.

Sosúa has become very popular with non-Jewish, German tourists, who have their own television and radio station. The communities have co-existed peacefully. While Benjamin has seen a swastika on the outskirts of the town on a sign, which he found unsettling, the authorities were unable to identify who was responsible for the graffiti.

The approximately three dozen Jews living in the area meet once a month in the synagogue. A rabbi comes from Santo Domingo, the capital of the island, to conduct the service. Benjamin's daughter had her bat mitzvah a few years ago in the synagogue, along with another daughter of one of the original settlers. Often they invite tourists to join them for the holidays. This year, when they opened their doors for a Chanukah celebration, more than 100 people – Jews and interested non-Jews – showed up, spilling over into the museum and the synagogue. Benjamin was pleasantly surprised and one of the guests was able to conduct a full service, including the Torah reading.

Similar to many of the children of the original settlers of Sosúa, Benjamin went to the United States for his education; he trained as an electrical engineer. But he found that there was something missing and returned. "I wasn't happy," he said. For those Jews who returned or who never left Sosúa, their roots run deep in this tiny island that opened its doors to Jews when no one else wanted them. The children of the original settlers who grew up in Sosúa have given birth to a new generation. Jewish traditions continue. These Jews have never forgotten where they came from. Their children, museum and synagogue are their legacy for the future.

The Museo Judio Sosúa is open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. and 2-4 p.m. It is located next to the Casa Marina Beach Resort. The number to contact for further information is 809-571-1389.

15. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

wow. what a wonderful piece of research! thank you!

i knew that the DR was the only country to let my tribe in during the holocaust, but didn't know the rest. that's some story!

but i am also under an impression that nazi uboats and other ships went on R&R in the DR. So now i wonder how they interacted if their paths crossed. maybe on my next trip i'll go to the museum and ask on of the historians. i'll report back after.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HombreSucio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

"Benjamin remembers growing up in Sosúa as idyllic. "When I wasn't in school, I could play on the beach and run around everywhere," he said. "There was no anti-Semitism." Services were held every Friday night at the synagogue and the community became very close knit."

yes, i'm sure he did! i wonder how he spent his candy money? i wonder how old he was when he got his cherry popped?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,993 Times in 1,045 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HombreSucio View Post
    "Benjamin remembers growing up in Sosúa as idyllic. "When I wasn't in school, I could play on the beach and run around everywhere," he said. "There was no anti-Semitism." Services were held every Friday night at the synagogue and the community became very close knit."

yes, i'm sure he did! i wonder how he spent his candy money? i wonder how old he was when he got his cherry popped?
    Don't forget; Just because Sosua is what it is right now, 50 years ago, it was probably way different.

For all we know, there mightn't have been any P4P in the area.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ElPlomero For This Useful Post:

Thanks

that's a good point!

but i heard that when Columbus landed on Hispaniola in 1492, the young native girls greeted his 3 ships and were dragged off to a hotel run by a guy named Wilfried who immediately said "I'll have to see.... We may be all booked!"

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HombreSucio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Old time Sosua Bay and other DR images..................

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,392 Posts

There are a ton of pictures of Pre 1960 Sosua on display in the old "Restaurant Atlantico" in Charamicos if anybody is interested. Ask for Luis, he has a really nice photography collection and enjoys sharing it.

(809) 571-2878
    Let's get the job done!

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MisterPink For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    Old time Sosua Bay and other DR images..................

Where would one go to take a picture of the sweeping view of Sosua Beach?
    Also, as seen on "YouTube", there are concrete slabs sticking out of the water on the far side of the beach. Do you know why it is there and why that thing is still there today in the water? It looks like a safety hazard to me, there are always people on it.
    Searching for the ultimate Squirter!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MegaSquirt View Post
    Where would one go to take a picture of the sweeping view of Sosua Beach?Also, as seen on "YouTube", there are concrete slabs sticking out of the water on the far side of the beach. Do you know why it is there and why that thing is still there today in the water? It looks like a safety hazard to me, there are always people on it.
    If you take the main road out of Sosua heading towards Charimicos, there's a hill on your left side at the corner where the Caribe Tours Bus Station office is located. The office will be on your right and a tipico style outdoor restaurant will be on your left. Take that hill and ride up and just look for the best view. Drive on some of the side streets and also some of the apartment complex parking lots.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

Bigsexx!! Where the hell have you been? About the hangers, you have to request them at the front desk. They have nice ones (by Dominican standards), so they may have had a problem with them walking out the door. I didn't have any my last time either. I asked, and they brought a bunch to my room a few minutes later.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just got back from a 4 nite stay at Casa Cayena. ( rented 3 rooms for my group)

Preamble - I've monngered in Bangkok, Manilla, Havana, and DR several times...so take this for what it's worth.

Review

- Reservation was easy and "Oscar" is a nice guy, but the service is definately way ahead of the accomodations as you will read.

- Paid $65 a nite for a single (room29) w/ "king sized" bed and breakfast.

- Paid $2 a day for a refrigerator

PRICE - This is obviousely Mid-High for this section and the ammenities, so I was "expecting something better than NG and Europa, but below a Courtyard or US Hotel.

LOCATION - easy enough to get to from ALL DISCO"s - Plent of Moto Coach on Corner and good ice cream parlor.

CONDITION - SAME SHIT DIFFERENT ADDRESS - barely considered clean. IN room Safe uses METAL KEY system, which is standard

No hangers ( no biggy) , closet doors don't close, lamp is broken,

Equals Europa, not as nice as Casa Valeria

KING BED - Really a joke, just two single pushed together. Shitty bed, felt like sleeping on ply wood and the beds made more noise than the chica's. Wood frame made more noise than you would believe

BATHROOM - Barely clean, Shower head broken ( then repaired barely), water pressure ok 50% of the time.

BREAKFAST - Best part of the stay

CHICA FRIENDLY - YES - Night Security had a hissy fit when I brought a NON PRO back who just got off work and didn't have her I.D.

ON SITE ACTION - Not usually, but my last day there were 3 girls hangin out a few hours in the lobby.

OVERALL REVIEW - NOT WORTH $65, ( if it was $45 I'd be happier) I would try NG , even Casa Valeria for better , cleaner rooms. ( and both are 20% CHEAPER!!!!), but a good THIRD CHOICE

33. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to luv2party2 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information