Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 01/2008 - Chinese district in Santo Domingo to open

Thanks
    Thanked 14,718 Times in 3,229 Posts

Re: Chinese district in Santo Domingo to open

Here's a view of the Chinatown in Havana......Cuba also has a large Chinese population.....
    Went here to eat many times....some good restaurants and inexpensive

This is also an excellent area for meeting chicas...

C.I.S.O.C.
    Cuba.....Cigars and beautiful chicas

One life I'm gonna live it up....Judas Priest, You Got Another Thing Coming

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,007 Times in 3,410 Posts

In the picture posted by LM, the sign reads, "Castle of China". Seeing that there is a flag of mainland China, it was built and run by them.

The one in Santo Domingo reads, "Sky, land, and dragon". I "think" it was built and run by Taiwanese.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheeno For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeno View Post
    In the picture posted by LM, the sign reads, "Castle of China". Seeing that there is a flag of mainland China, it was built and run by them.

The one in Santo Domingo reads, "Sky, land, and dragon". I "think" it was built and run by Taiwanese.
    I "think" you are quite correct Cheeno in both cases. However in terms of Cuba, they are definitely Chinese, but most of the people who work in the restaurants/stores are Cuban! Cuba has strong ties with China and given Cuba's lack of foreign credit and cash, they import a huge amount of Chinese products (e.g. buses, railway locomotives and equipment, electronics etc). China has money to burn and is more than willing to ante up a few million for future considerations The same trade relationship also exists with only a handful of other countries, but especially Venezuela and Iran. I find it quite troubling as to what their ulterior motive really is.
    Soy un zorro en una jauria de perros

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Downtown For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Here's a little history of the Chinese in Cuba gleamed from Wikpiedia......

Chinese immigration to Cuba started in 1847 when Spanish settlers brought in Cantonese contract workers to work in the sugar fields. Hundreds of thousands of Chinese workers were brought in from Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan during the following decades to replace and / or work alongside African slaves. After completing 8-year contracts or otherwise obtaining their freedom, some Chinese immigrants settled permanently in Cuba, although most longed for repatriation to their homeland. Havana's Chinatown (known as Barrio Chino de La Habana) was one of the earliest and largest Chinatowns in Latin America. Some 5,000 Chinese from the U.S. immigrated to Cuba during the late 1800s to escape the discrimination present at the time. A small wave of Chinese immigrants also arrived during the early 20th century to escape the political chaos in China.
    The Chinese tended to concentrate heavily in urban areas, especially in the Havana Chinatown. Many used the money they accumulated as indentured laborers to open small grocery stores or restaurants. Generations of Chinese-Cubans married into the larger Spanish, mulatto and Afro-Cuban populations. Today almost all Chinese-Cubans have African, Spanish, and Chinese ancestry. Many of them have Spanish surnames.
    Some Chinese fought in Cuba's Ten Year's War. Chinese Cubans, including some Chinese-Americans from California, joined the Spanish-American War in 1898 to achieve independence from Spain, but a few Chinese, who were loyal to Spain, left Cuba and went to Spain. Racial acceptance and assimilation would come much later.
    When the new revolutionary government led by Fidel Castro came to power in 1959, the economic and political situation changed. Many Chinese grocery store owners, having had their properties expropriated by the new government, left Cuba. Most of these settled in the United States, particularly nearby Florida, where they and their U.S.-born children are called Chinese-Americans or Cuban-Americans of Chinese descent, while a relatively few to nearby Dominican Republic and other Latin American countries, and also to U.S.-ruled territory of Puerto Rico, where they are called Chinese Puerto Ricans, Cuban-Puerto Ricans of Chinese descent, or Cuban-Americans of Chinese descent. Chinese refugees to United States include people whose ancestors came to Cuba 10 years before the Cuban Revolution and those from the United States. These Chinese American refugees, whose ancestors had come from California, were happy to be back in the United States. As a result of this exodus, the number of pure Chinese dropped sharply in Havana’s Barrio Chino. The places they migrated to had a unique Chinese culture and a popularity of Chinese Cuban restaurants.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LM For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Also from Wikpedia concerning Chinatown in the Dominican Republic...

Dominican Republic

While Havana's Barrio Chino is struggling for self-preservation, a new bustling and organic Chinatown in the Dominican Republic thrives, in that country's capital city Santo Domingo, on Avenida Duarte; it was officially inaugurated as a Chinatown in 2006.[1] While serving the local Chinese community with at least 40 immigrant-run businesses, it is also promoted as a tourist attraction. The development of Chinatown is now gaining momentum, and a new gateway arch is in development. First-generation Chinese immigrants came from Hong Kong and Taiwan in 1970s.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LM For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeno View Post

Not built by Taiwanese, but they certainly had a controlling factor in it. Taiwan is very tight with the DR gov't....
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

We only had time to eat here once

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,936 Times in 6,484 Posts

excellent

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hugrad95a For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 860 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    There are tons of Chinese in Santo Domingo.

Most of the cabanas in the city are owned and run by Chinese. (do you have any idea how many cabanas there are in SD?)

There are dozens if not hundreds of chinese restaurants(both schezuan and Madarin), along with the smaller chinese "pica pollos", all of which are chinese owned and operated, with only the waitresses being locals.

There are also many chinese jewelry stores, including the ones in the big malls.

And currently, there are about 6-7 different automobile brands from China being sold throughout the country, mainly by Chinese.

I took Cheeno to the Buen Sabor restaurant, a place you shouldn't even try to go to during lunch hour, unless waiting in line is your thing.

And, for what it's worth, the picture in the OP is from inside chinatown looking out, not from the outside looking in.

Also, interaction between chinese girls and outsiders is very strongly discouraged by their parents, guardians, etc. It is quite difficult to get them to even speak to you. Try it some time when you see one.
    Don't forget the nail salons.. BTW, these cabanas they run are nothing like the ones run by the Dominicans in Santiago.. Now those are styling! Also, these chinese restaurants are all fusion.. chinese/spanish food. There are very few authentic Chinese restaurants.. They always come to the US complaining about how there is no good authentic Chinese food there.. Maybe this will change.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hioctane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 292 Posts

I'm amused by the idea that Chinatown is now 'open'. It's not like it was closed. I was there 2 1/2 years ago. It's walking distance from El Conde, although that is one steep hill. If I remember right, you walk past La Sirena on the way. There were many oriental people there, and that wasn't spanish they were speaking. I even have my own pic of the arch.

That was the last day I spent with my girl at the time, Marleny. Some of you will remember her as Serena from Blackbeards. Kind of miss this girl, but she exceeded my drama limit, after being warned not to. NEXT!

Quote Originally Posted by eldorob View Post
    I stand corrected, they were in the diner talking to a local who was saying that they were famous for their "mud" when she inquired about the Chinese food...

That was a great movie...I fell in love with Marisa Tomei because of that movie..but that was a long time ago, I don't like white girls anymore
    I don't spend much time worrying over pale chicas anymore either, but Marisa Tomei is a huge exception. Loved her in 'The Wrestler'. Best 40yo pierced nips ever!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nnjdave For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hugrad95a View Post
    excellent
    Hanging out with these guys, believe it or not, is quite the culinary experience. Especially Maxi...

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nnjdave View Post
    I'm amused by the idea that Chinatown is now 'open'. It's not like it was closed. I was there 2 1/2 years ago. It's walking distance from El Conde, although that is one steep hill. If I remember right, you walk past La Sirena on the way. There were many oriental people there, and that wasn't spanish they were speaking. I even have my own pic of the arch.
    But who said Chinatown was closed??? This thread is from 4 years ago. We're just updating the pictures. Tranquilo!!

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    But who said Chinatown was closed??? This thread is from 4 years ago. We're just updating the pictures. Tranquilo!!
    Pictures, I got pictures.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

For what it's worth, I remember the chineses district from back in the early seventies, back in those days, there were quite a few chinese whore bars, with dominican whores.
    The usual layout was a main bar in the front, with private booths in the rear where you could "sit" with your favorite chica from the front bar.
    The privacy was accomplished by a curtain. If you wanted something from the bar, you would push a botton on the table, and the waitress would come and speak to you through the curtain.
    Orders would be passed discreetly through the curtain in the same fashion.
    In those days, there were soldiers on every corner, and at least one of them would carry a Thompson sub machine gun.

Not too much crime back then!

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 292 Posts

I gotta stop surfing so late. Oh, hell, I'm doing it right now.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nnjdave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    For what it's worth, I remember the chineses district from back in the early seventies, back in those days, there were quite a few chinese whore bars, with dominican whores.
    The usual layout was a main bar in the front, with private booths in the rear where you could "sit" with your favorite chica from the front bar.
    The privacy was accomplished by a curtain. If you wanted something from the bar, you would push a botton on the table, and the waitress would come and speak to you through the curtain.
    Orders would be passed discreetly through the curtain in the same fashion.
    In those days, there were soldiers on every corner, and at least one of them would carry a Thompson sub machine gun.

Not too much crime back then!
    I know that was a while ago; but what were the chica rates back then relative to exchange??

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I wasn't there 4 years ago.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I know that was a while ago; but what were the chica rates back then relative to exchange??
    The exchange was 1:1, girls got 2 bucks, and a buck for the bed. The Chinese bars with booths in the back were 5 bucks for the girl. A beer was 10 cents.

My favorite cabana was the Presidente, up on the north side of the city, not far from Herminia's. (another huge whore bar). Presidente cabanas had a small pool in every room. (Long before jacuzzi's were around)

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information