Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The World According to Apos?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Thumbs Up Re: The World According to Apos?

BINGO!

I'm very interested to hear your take on things, it sounds like we're seeing and hearing similar things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beads View Post
    What I saw recently ( I will go into more detail shortly) was the slowest time I have ever seen in Sosua. Some places which cater heavily to the mongers seemed to be doing well. NG and LaPassions seem to be thriving but everything else around town is the slowest I have ever seen.

I cant even imagine what its going to be like during the really hot months when they have what is considered the real "low season".
    When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 55,585 Times in 14,260 Posts

Re: The World According to Apos?

So what's the deal? We get such conflicting reports. I've heard that things are slllloooowwww which should mean downward pressure on prices. I've also heard that any relatively hot chica is being wifed up at high prices for days on end.

WTF?

Well, I just booked my Thanksgiving trip. I know more or less what the prices will be in MDE. The miles were the same as DR and the taxes half. Y'all can keep Pedro and La Passions! I'm off to Paisaville!!!

Seriously, because the trip is short (five days) I was thinking about Sosua, but forget it. The flights came out cheaper and due to the timing of the flights I have as much time on the ground as if I flew to POP. I leave early Thurday morning and land in MDE before 1:00. On the way back my flight is at 6:30 PM. Plenty of time for a lot of casa visits on the last day!!!

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PapiQueRico For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,542 Times in 5,678 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapiQueRico View Post
    So what's the deal? We get such conflicting reports. I've heard that things are slllloooowwww which should mean downward pressure on prices. I've also heard that any relatively hot chica is being wifed up at high prices for days on end.

WTF?
    What seems to be going on with the hoes down there is the same thing that's happening with the general population across the globe in this recession .... the middle class is getting hit hardest.

Let me explain ... just like the rich are still doing fine, the hottest chicas down there still get the big dollars simply because they're hot and the guy that wants a legit '9' is gonna pay for it, plain and simple. 3000+ TLN.

But just like the economy has the middle-class hit hardest with layoffs and lower wages, it's the middle-class (in terms of looks) hoes feeling it the worst. Whereas before they'd get 2000-2500 TLN, the offers are now coming in at 1000-1500, take it or leave it. Some take it, many leave it, just like some workers take that lower paying job they wish they didn't need while others refuse to work for half of what they did a couple years ago.

As for the lower end hoes, this situation might actually be a boon for them, kinda like shoe repair shops have seen a boom cuz people are paying for repairs rather than buying new shoes. If guys are sticking to 1500 TLN and not enough '7's are taking it, that's more offers for '5's that they're more than happy to jump on and it's no secret there's plenty dudes who choose a less-attractive chica over 500 pesos.

Quote Originally Posted by PapiQueRico View Post
    Well, I just booked my Thanksgiving trip. I know more or less what the prices will be in MDE. The miles were the same as DR and the taxes half. Y'all can keep Pedro and La Passions! I'm off to Paisaville!!!

Seriously, because the trip is short (five days) I was thinking about Sosua, but forget it. The flights came out cheaper and due to the timing of the flights I have as much time on the ground as if I flew to POP. I leave early Thurday morning and land in MDE before 1:00. On the way back my flight is at 6:30 PM. Plenty of time for a lot of casa visits on the last day!!!
    What did yours cost? Dates im looking at for DR are $430 tax incl.
    Bitch you wasn't with me shootin' in the gym ...

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JuanElGriego For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,720 Times in 3,243 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JuanElGriego View Post
    What seems to be going on with the hoes down there is the same thing that's happening with the general population across the globe in this recession .... the middle class is getting hit hardest.

Let me explain ... just like the rich are still doing fine, the hottest chicas down there still get the big dollars simply because they're hot and the guy that wants a legit '9' is gonna pay for it, plain and simple. 3000+ TLN.

But just like the economy has the middle-class hit hardest with layoffs and lower wages, it's the middle-class (in terms of looks) hoes feeling it the worst. Whereas before they'd get 2000-2500 TLN, the offers are now coming in at 1000-1500, take it or leave it. Some take it, many leave it, just like some workers take that lower paying job they wish they didn't need while others refuse to work for half of what they did a couple years ago.

As for the lower end hoes, this situation might actually be a boon for them, kinda like shoe repair shops have seen a boom cuz people are paying for repairs rather than buying new shoes. If guys are sticking to 1500 TLN and not enough '7's are taking it, that's more offers for '5's that they're more than happy to jump on and it's no secret there's plenty dudes who choose a less-attractive chica over 500 pesos.

He just wants to really go to Medellin.

Thanks
    Thanked 55,585 Times in 14,260 Posts

My dates are not flexible and I was looking at over $560 to POP (American Airlines). With my short time I was not interesteds in wasting time to/from STI.

Reward travel (Continental FF plan, flights on Copa)will be 35,000 miles and $64 to MDE.

I just rechecked and the taxes to POP are only $94 (I thought they were higher) but I'd have to cut the trip a day and pay 52,500 in miles becaue of lack of normal reward space on the return, and no service on the specific day I want to travel.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PapiQueRico For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,273 Times in 7,384 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikelodge View Post
    That reminds me of a post on DR1 (which I haven't been on in months) about some people dining at the Waterfront and posting that they had to finish up and get out of there by 9 or so when the scum bags move in and criminals or something like that.

If the economy is that bad they must be buzzing or should I say whining and complaining over there on that site. Which is why I don't read it much.

Everything did seem quiet when I was there the end of March and early April which even though it was only 6-7 weeks ago seems like many months
    I took a chica to dinner at the Waterfront when I was there in early March. Including us, I counted a total of 9 people spread over 4 tables. The wait staff spent all evening just standing around and talking amongst themselves while eyeballing the tables just waiting to be of service to anyone. Very slow night for them.

Except for the main drag of Pedro, Sosua was more quiet than any other time since I have been going. Lou's Shark Bar never had more than a few people in it at any time I walked past, the bars around and near The Europa were practically begging for gringos.

Other than slipping into Passions once and going to the Cuba Libre for yayows birthday, that end of town was pretty devoid of tourists/mongers. I do like that area as a change from the usual spots, and support those bars, but the lack of action in March I would think doesn't bode well for when I get back next month. I hope I'm wrong.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Smooth For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Malo View Post
    Hunter has too much time on his hands and just came back from Negril. He thinks Sosua can be another Negril.
    maybe him did something to himself when he jumped from high up on the Cliffs at Ricks Cafe in Negril

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

in Sosua the monger is in the majority.......
    in Negril the monger is in the minority.....

if I was with family or other couples I wouldn't ever go to Sosua in a million years......
    if I was with family or other couples I would definitely go to Negril......

right now these two places are two totally different destinations.......
    and I think in order for Sosua to survive, it needs to diversify and reinvent itself....

Negril is perfect example of a beautiful destination with couple and families where you can have a great time mongering.......

and Negril is much more likely to survive and prosper than Sosua because of this diversification.....

back in the 90's Boca Chica was the place to monger and business was hopping.....now it's hit a wall ....
    which could very well become the new outcome for Sosua........the two places aren't much different.....
    and at least Boca Chica has the capital nearby......what is nearby to Sosua....not much

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,331 Times in 571 Posts

Re: El Salvador & Nicaragua

Quote Originally Posted by Malo View Post
    Medellin is safe if you stay away from the bad areas.
    So is Afghanistan.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to husl2001 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,716 Times in 4,467 Posts

I guess you guys are right, if you really take the time out to do your homework you can find good spots to hit even in the crappiest countries.

As I was going though the thread I was just smiling saying that you really dont know what you are missing. I lived in Honduras for two years and I hit all of those countries. Shit holes but the women were on point! And lets not talk about Guatamala City! The hoes there can match the ones in Colombia! They have women from all over working there.

Oooops! That was a thread jack!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SrSuerte For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    ...and at least Boca Chica has the capital nearby......what is nearby to Sosua....not much
    I must respectfully disagree...

Puerto Plata is about 1/2 hour away and it's the 3rd largest city in the DR.
    Santiago is about 1.5 hours away and is the 2nd largest city. I suspect that a lot more people from Santiago come to Sosua on the weekends than most people realize and perhaps more than the numbers coming from Santo Domingo to Boca Chica. A large percentage of people working in Sosua, from those that I speak with, claim to live in Puerto Plata.

It's not like we're talking about Azua or Barahona...Sousa is plenty central and close to many cities and other larger towns. Pretty much everyone realizes that Boca Chica is a dump and people from the Capital seem to go to other places to cool off on the weekends. There are plenty of lesser know, to us, beaches and rivers that are really popular.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by husl2001 View Post
    So is Afghanistan.
    I won't get any better after today either. The Stock Market was down like 360 points -- over 3% in one day.

We need to legalize everything within reason here in the USA and tax it to death.

Thanks

If Sosua is having some hard times is it really because of the world economy or is Sosua its own worst enemy? Just go down the road a bit to Cabarete and it has a lot more to offer. In my opinion its more upscale, has a much longer and better beach, and the night life and dining is better than Sosua's. I wonder if Caberate is having as hard a time as Sosua.

To me Sosua is more personable and has a more neighborhood/community feel to it, which is why I like coming to Sosua, but Cabarete is much more diverse in its tourists. The way Rocko described Negril is how I would describe Cabarete and its only a couple of kilometers down the road from Sosua.

And there is still some good mongering to be had in Cabarete.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afroski For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am, generally, rarely in Cabarete but a week or so ago I was there, and passing through, many times. The beach was very slow and the streets pretty much empty of gringos.

According to friends that go there a lot Cabarete is also really suffering from a lack of tourists. The terrible traffic on the only main/through road is crippling and deters a lot of casual visitors...and almost everything is incredibly expensive compared to Sosua which is already horribly overpriced compared to non-tourist towns and cities.

I doubt that Cabarete is any better off and perhaps not as well off as Sosua when all factors are accounted for, although many, perhaps uninformed or infrequent visitors, may think differently. There is/has been a lot of new construction planned for and started, but that could be said for Sosua to some extent as well.

All I know from a few casual visits is that it's not anywhere as busy and vibrant as I remember it from years past.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Apostropheman View Post
    I am, generally, rarely in Cabarete but a week or so ago I was there, and passing through, many times. The beach was very slow and the streets pretty much empty of gringos.

According to friends that go there a lot Cabarete is also really suffering from a lack of tourists. The terrible traffic on the only main/through road is crippling and deters a lot of casual visitors...and almost everything is incredibly expensive compared to Sosua which is already horribly overpriced compared to non-tourist towns and cities.

I doubt that Cabarete is any better off and perhaps not as well off as Sosua when all factors are accounted for, although many, perhaps uninformed or infrequent visitors, may think differently. There is/has been a lot of new construction planned for and started, but that could be said for Sosua to some extent as well.

All I know from a few casual visits is that it's not anywhere as busy and vibrant as I remember it from years past.
    I am an infrequent visitor(only 5 times in the last 12 months) and am usually there only during American holidays which may cause me to see more tourists than are normally there.

So is Sosua on its way out and will it end up like Boca Chica?

And from you guys who are there on the ground full time what would be your 2nd and 3rd choices for mongering in the DR other than Sosua?

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afroski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

I would say this is pretty close to what I saw. Whats skews the payscale though is that everyone has different tastes. This makes some chicas feel their value is much higher (which it might be for some people and not for others) and also throw in the weekend warriors who still come but in MUCH fewer numbers who speak NO Spanish and will be limited to those chicas who they can communicate with if they want any sort of conversation.

A very funny moment was watching a group of 3 weekend warriors first get spoken to by the local tour guides in front of Merengue Bar. They said they didnt need any help and werent giving them any money.

I then watched them trying to speak to chicas they obviously could not communicate with and were more interested in showing off how much money they had and they were in control than anything else.

Of course they were being told by every chica $100US. The chicas they were all talking to were making fun of them and telling each other to make sure they get $100US if they go with them. They obviously understood no Spanish at all.
    Jimmy owes me a dollar!

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by afroski View Post
    If Sosua is having some hard times is it really because of the world economy or is Sosua its own worst enemy? Just go down the road a bit to Cabarete and it has a lot more to offer. In my opinion its more upscale, has a much longer and better beach, and the night life and dining is better than Sosua's. I wonder if Caberate is having as hard a time as Sosua.
    To me Sosua is more personable and has a more neighborhood/community feel to it, which is why I like coming to Sosua, but Cabarete is much more diverse in its tourists. The way Rocko described Negril is how I would describe Cabarete and its only a couple of kilometers down the road from Sosua.

And there is still some good mongering to be had in Cabarete.
    The short answer is yes, Cabarete business that caters to tourists is suffering as well.

The 2 biggest problems Cabarete has is that in the last few years over 1,000 hotel beds have been lost with the condo-isation of Cabarete and the beach restaurants charge higher than average prices.

I think there are more snowbird type residents, 3-6 month stays, now in Cabarete than Sosua.

They and the cheap-ass surfer dudes now stay in condo's and eat/drink at home instead of heading out to dine on the beach.

I have rental condos in Cabarete and whilst my occupancy rates are not down at all, my guests just are not going out as perhaps they might have in previous visits.

Oh yeah and the mongering is good too!!!

32. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,506 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    maybe him did something to himself when he jumped from high up on the Cliffs at Ricks Cafe in Negril
    You mean he hit his head again? No, not again.
    I can take Google Wallet and Send Invoices thru Square.

3 days is $8.00

1 Month is $12.00

3 Months is $25.00

6 Months is $40

1 yr is $60

2 yr is $90

3 yr is $115

5 yr is $250

the 1 year and more include admission into Jimmy's stash area

E mail me at Jdrent97@gmail.com

I will need

Website Handle

and which subscription you are interested in

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Malo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,506 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apostropheman View Post
    I must respectfully disagree...

Puerto Plata is about 1/2 hour away and it's the 3rd largest city in the DR.
    Santiago is about 1.5 hours away and is the 2nd largest city. I suspect that a lot more people from Santiago come to Sosua on the weekends than most people realize and perhaps more than the numbers coming from Santo Domingo to Boca Chica. A large percentage of people working in Sosua, from those that I speak with, claim to live in Puerto Plata.

It's not like we're talking about Azua or Barahona...Sousa is plenty central and close to many cities and other larger towns. Pretty much everyone realizes that Boca Chica is a dump and people from the Capital seem to go to other places to cool off on the weekends. There are plenty of lesser know, to us, beaches and rivers that are really popular.

There is actually plenty to do all over the North Coast and unlike many other larger countries, you can drive to the Capital within 4 hours if you want to.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Malo For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Question It Ain't ALL Bad!

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...215#post764215

Things that i like about Sosua...what are YOUR favourite things?

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information